Tim Kennedy (fighter)
September 1, 1979 |
San Luis Obispo, California, United States
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||74.0 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Team||Jackson's Submission Fighting
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||2004 – Present|
|Rank||Sergeant First Class|
|Unit||7th Special Forces Group|
|Battles/wars||War in Afghanistan, Iraq War|
Timothy Fred Kennedy (born September 1, 1979) is an American professional mixed martial artist who currently competes in the UFC's Middleweight division. He has also formerly competed for Strikeforce, the WEC, ShoMMA, HDNet Fights, and represented the Chicago Red Bears in the IFL. Kennedy is one of the few fighters to simultaneously serve full-time in the United States Army while also fighting professionally. As of September 29, 2014, he is #7 in official UFC middleweight rankings.
Kennedy grew up the second son of three children in a Christian family in Atascadero, California. As a youth, Kennedy’s mother placed him in cooking and piano lessons. To offset her influence on him, Kennedy’s father enrolled Tim and his brother in shooting schools, boxing lessons, wrestling teams, and Japanese Ju-Jitsu classes. Kennedy attended Eagle Academy private high school, graduating in 1998. He then attended Columbia College of Missouri, earning a B.A. in criminal justice in 2002. Kennedy began competing in sanctioned mixed martial arts fights while still in college, but after graduation he enlisted in the United States Army, joining the elite Special Forces in 2004. However, he continued to compete in MMA while serving as a Green Beret. When the Army instituted a service-wide Combatives (hand-to-hand fighting) tournament in 2005, Kennedy entered and won the tournament in the Light Heavyweight division. He achieved this goal three years in a row.
Tim Kennedy joined the Army on January 4, 2004 and completed Basic Combat Training, Advanced Individual Training, Airborne School and the Special Forces Qualification Course. Tim was featured in Dick Couch's book about Green Beret selection called "Chosen Soldier" under the moniker "Tom Kendall". In 2007, he completed Ranger School and was assigned to the 7th Special Forces Group, where he served on Operational Detachments Alpha. During this time he was also a sniper, sniper instructor, the principal combatives instructor for C Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group. Kennedy deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom multiple times. Among Kennedy’s multiple awards are the Army’s Bronze Star Medal with V device, which was awarded for valor under fire. In August 2009, Kennedy transitioned from active duty to the Texas Army National Guard and currently serves in the position of Special Forces Weapons Sergeant.
Mixed martial arts career
Kennedy began training at Dokan School of Martial Arts in Atascadero, California under Terry Kelly, and Barry Smith. He began his MMA training in 1999, training with Chuck Liddell, Jake Shields, Gan McGee, and John Hackleman at The Pit in San Luis Obispo.
Kennedy first started fighting in 1996 and had 31 amateur fights, amassing a record of 30-1 before his first professional fight in 2001. In 2003 he entered and won a one-night tournament at Extreme Challenge 50, winning all three of his fights. In 2004 he joined the Army. Kennedy only fought once in 2006. He then fought for the now defunct International Fight League in 2007, and did not fight in 2008 due to Army deployments overseas. During this time he wrote a three part series of "Letters from a Foreign Land" that chronicled his time in combat.
Kennedy returned to mixed martial arts in 2009 with a win over Nick Thompson at Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. Cyborg in Kent, Washington. He followed this up with an impressive win over Zak Cummings in the main event of ShoMMA 3.
Kennedy was expected to face Jason Miller again on March 5, 2011 at Strikeforce 32. However, Miller was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Melvin Manhoef. He won via submission in the first round.
Kennedy was expected to face Trevor Smith on November 3, 2012 at Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir. However, the event was cancelled due to injuries to headliner Frank Mir, as well to co-headliner and middleweight champion Luke Rockhold. This bout eventually took place on January 12, 2013 at Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine. Kennedy won via submission in the third round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In January 2013, the Strikeforce organization was closed by its parent company Zuffa. A list of fighters scheduled to be brought over to the Ultimate Fighting Championship was released in mid-January and Kennedy was one of the fighters listed.
Kennedy was expected to face Lyoto Machida on November 6, 2013 at UFC Fight For The Troops 3. However, Machida was pulled from the bout in favor of a matchup with Mark Muñoz on October 26, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 30, after Muñoz's original opponent, Michael Bisping was forced out of their bout with an injury. Kennedy instead faced Rafael Natal in the event headliner. He won the fight via knockout in the first round. The win also earned him his first Knockout of the Night bonus award.
Kennedy faced Yoel Romero on September 27, 2014 at UFC 178. He lost the fight via TKO in the third round. Kennedy nearly finished Romero in the final seconds of the second round who was eventually saved by the bell. Yoel Romero, his cornermen, the referee and the UFC cutman have all been criticized for their actions resulting in a 28 second delay after the bell rang for the third round. Despite the loss, Kennedy earned a Fight of the Night bonus award.
Kennedy has two daughters. He fathered Sabrina with female mixed martial artist Casey Noland.
Championships and awards
- Extreme Challenge
- Extreme Challenge Middleweight Tournament winner
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|23 matches||18 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||18–5||Yoel Romero||TKO (punches)||UFC 178||September 27, 2014||3||0:38||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||18–4||Michael Bisping||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter Nations Finale: Bisping vs. Kennedy||April 16, 2014||5||5:00||Quebec City, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||17–4||Rafael Natal||KO (punch)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||1||4:40||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||16–4||Roger Gracie||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 162||July 6, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–4||Trevor Smith||Submission (guillotine choke)||Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine||January 12, 2013||3||1:36||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Loss||14–4||Luke Rockhold||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy||July 14, 2012||5||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States||For the Strikeforce Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||14–3||Robbie Lawler||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson||July 30, 2011||3||5:00||Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States|
|Win||13–3||Melvin Manhoef||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson||March 5, 2011||1||3:41||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||12–3||Ronaldo Souza||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Houston||August 21, 2010||5||5:00||Houston, Texas, United States||For the vacant Strikeforce Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||12–2||Trevor Prangley||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce: Los Angeles||June 16, 2010||1||3:35||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||11–2||Zak Cummings||Submission (north-south choke)||ShoMMA 3||September 25, 2009||2||2:43||Bixby, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||10–2||Nick Thompson||Submission (punches)||ShoMMA 2||June 19, 2009||2||2:37||Kent, Washington, United States|
|Win||9–2||Elias Rivera||KO (punches)||IFL: World Grand Prix Finals||December 29, 2007||1||2:00||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States|
|Loss||8–2||Jason Miller||Decision (unanimous)||HDNetFIGHTS: Reckless Abandon||December 15, 2007||3||5:00||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Win||8–1||Ryan McGivern||Submission (guillotine choke)||IFL: Chicago||June 19, 2007||2||1:25||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||7–1||Dante Rivera||Submission (punches)||IFL: Atlanta||February 23, 2007||2||2:29||Atlanta, Georgia, United States||Fought at Light Heavyweight.|
|Win||6–1||Hector Urbina||KO (punches)||Fight Fest 7||September 23, 2006||1||1:28||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Win||5–1||Cruz Chacon||TKO (punches)||Extreme Challenge 50||February 23, 2003||2||1:21||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States||Won Extreme Challenge Middleweight Tournament.|
|Win||4–1||Jason Miller||Decision (unanimous)||Extreme Challenge 50||February 23, 2003||3||5:00||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||3–1||Ryan Narte||TKO (punches)||Extreme Challenge 50||February 23, 2003||1||1:22||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||2–1||Mack Brewer||TKO (punches)||WEC 5||October 18, 2002||1||1:03||Lemoore, California, United States||Fought at light heavyweight.|
|Win||1–1||Jody Burke||Submission (forearm choke)||IFC: Warriors Challenge 16||November 9, 2001||1||0:44||Oroville, California, United States|
|Loss||0–1||Scott Smith||TKO (doctor stoppage)||IFC: Warriors Challenge 15||August 31, 2001||1||2:53||Oroville, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - TUF Nations Finale Bisping vs. Kennedy". UFC.com. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Tim Kennedy - Official UFC® Fighter Profile". Ufc.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "The Push for Pullups: Why Soldiers Want it Added to the PT Test". Army Times. June 11, 2014.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- Morgan, Adam. "Tim Kennedy: Full Time Soldier, Full Time Fighter". Five Ounces of Pain. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "Annual Ranger Muster 2010" (Press release). US Army Ranger Association. 2010. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "TIM KENNEDY - SOMEONE YOU SHOULD KNOW". Blackfive.net. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- Malone, Kieran. "After returning from Afghanistan, Strikeforce's Tim Kennedy returns to MMA action Friday". Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Snowden, Jonathan. "Tim Kennedy: Army Strong". Total-MMA.com. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Chiappetta, Mike. "Army Green Beret Tim Kennedy Restarts MMA Career With Strikeforce". MMAFanhouse.com. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Kennedy, Tim. "I am Deployed Again, Part I". RangerUp.com. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Kennedy, Tim. "I Am Deployed Again, Part II". RangerUp.com. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Kennedy, Tim. "Tim Kennedy Deployed, Part 3". RangerUp.com. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "Kennedy vs. Prangley at "Strikeforce: Los Angeles" on June 16". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-05-26.
- Michelle Tan (27 May 2010). "Details of Tim Kennedy's next fight announced". blogs.militarytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Strikeforce adds Tim Kennedy vs. Trevor Smith to Nov. 3 Oklahoma Fight Card MMAWeekly.com (September 20, 2012)
- Strikeforce cancels Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, plans January return MMAJunkie.com (October 12, 2012)
- Larkin-Souza, Kennedy-Smith added to January Strikeforce card by Matt Erickson (MMAJunkie.com) on November 29, 2012
- "UFC Reveals List of Strikeforce Fighters Making Jump to Octagon". sherdog.com. January 16, 2013.
- Staff (2013-03-04). "Roger Gracie To Fight Tim Kennedy At UFC 162". fightofthenight.com. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- Staff (2013-08-21). "Lyoto Machida drops to 185, meets Tim Kennedy at UFC Fight for the Troops 3". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- Staff (2013-09-27). "Michael Bisping out at UFC Fight Night 30, Lyoto Machida now faces Mark Munoz". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- staff (2013-10-01). "Tim Kennedy gets Rafael Natal at UFC's 'Fight for the Troops 3'". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- Staff. "UFC Fight Night 31 bonuses: Kennedy, Chiesa, Khabilov, Masvidal win $50,000". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-06.
- Staff (2014-01-30). "Michael Bisping cleared for TUF Nations Finale headliner with Tim Kennedy". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- Cole, Ross (17 April 2014). "Tim Kennedy Earns Decision Victory Over Michael Bisping At TUF Nations Finale". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- Zane Simon (2014-07-08). "Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero slated for UFC 178 in Las Vegas". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- Marc Raimondi and Damon Martin (2014-09-28). "Stoolgate: Tim Kennedy irate about controversial loss to Yoel Romero". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-09-28.
- Matt Erickson (2014-09-28). "UFC 178 bonuses: McGregor, Cruz, Romero, Kennedy earn $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-28.
- "Noland to fight in front of home crowd at Cal Poly". Sanluisobispo.com. 2010-05-18. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- Professional MMA record for Tim Kennedy from Sherdog
- Tough times as Strikeforce's Tim Kennedy tries to balance MMA and Army careers
- TexasFighting.com: “Cage fighting compared to the military is a breeze.”
- Tim Kennedy Quotes