5 October 1970 |
|Occupations||Musician, composer & bandleader|
|Associated acts||Siri Gjære
Tord Gustavsen Trio
Gustavsen holds a Bachelor's degree (mellomfag) in psychology at the University of Oslo, before he attended the Trondheim Musikkonsevatorium for a three years study of jazz (1993-96). Thereafter he became a graduate (Cand.philol.) of musicology at the University of Oslo, where he was guest teacher of jazz piano and theory (1998-2002).
Gustavsen tours extensively world-wide, and he has been a bandleader of a trio and a later ensemble both of which bore his name. The Tord Gustavsen Trio, with Harald Johnsen on double bass and Jarle Vespestad on drums, released three albums by April 2007 for ECM Records; Changing Places in 2003, The Ground (2004), and Being There (2007). He followed them with an album recorded by an ensemble he assembled in 2009, Restored, Returned - an album which was awarded with Spellemannsprisen (the Norwegian Grammy) in 2008. In addition, he has recorded as a session musician, and guested on friends' albums.
Gustavsen continues to be highly interested in psychology and has written a lengthy thesis on the paradoxes of improvisation drawing on the dialectical psychological theory of Helm Stierlin and Anne-Lise Løvlie Schibbye.
- Tord Gustavsen Trio
- Tord Gustavsen Ensemble
- Restored, Returned (October 2009)
- Tord Gustavsen Quartet
- The Well (ECM, 2012)
- aire & angels duo with Siri Gjære
- aire & angels (1999)
- aire & angels II (2002)
- First meeting (2000)
- Contemporary tradition (2002)
- Bessie Smith Revisited - Live in concert (2008) - with Kristin Asbjørnsen
- Port of Call (2000)
- At First Light (2001)
- Nightwatch (2003)
- The Essential + Live in Koln[DVD] (2005)
- SKRUK / Rim Banna Krybberom (2003)
- SKRUK / Torun Sævik / Cecilie Jørstad Sommerlandet (2004)
- SKRUK / Nymark Collective dype stille sterke milde (2006)
- Indigodalen (Heilo, 2001)
- Improvisions (Park Grammofon, 2005)
- Love, The Blues (Park Grammofon, 2008)
- Other Projects
- Whoopin (2001)
- Humans & Places (2006) with Ulrich Drechsler Quartet
- ID (2007) with Anna Maria Jopek
- Sorgen og gleden (2008) with various artists
- Natt i Betlehem (2008) with Solveig Slettahjell
- "Tord Gustavsen er månedens musiker i november! - Victoria Nasjonal Jazzscene".
- "Jazzlinja". NTNU.no. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Biography - Summary". Official website. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Tord Gustavsen - Jazzforum.no". (in Norwegian)
- "Tord Gustavsen - Biography, on Official Webcite".
- "Mann for god melodi - The Well Review, Oslopuls, Aftenposten". (in Norwegian)
- "Tord Gustavsen - The Well - Review, NRK Jazz". (in Norwegian)
- "Tord Gustavsen - Dialectics of Improvisation, on Official Webcite".
First award in 2005
|Recipient of the Nattjazzprisen
Helge Lien Trio
|Recipient of the Jazz Spellemannprisen