|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
Tremont is a residential neighborhood geographically located in the west Bronx, New York City. The neighborhood is part of Bronx Community Board 5. Its boundaries, starting from the north and moving clockwise are: East 183rd Street to the north, Webster Avenue to the east, the Cross-Bronx Expressway to the south, and the Jerome Avenue to the west. The Grand Concourse is the primary thoroughfare through Tremont. The local subway is the IND Concourse Line (B D trains), operating along the Grand Concourse. Zip codes include 10453 and 10457. The area is patrolled by the 46th Precinct located at 2120 Ryer Avenue within Tremont.
Land use and terrain
Tremont is dominated by 5 and 6-story apartment houses. The total land area is less than 1-square-mile (2.6 km2). The area is elevated above adjacent areas and is very hilly. Stair streets connect areas located at different elevations.
The landmarked Morris Avenue Historic District lines Morris Avenue between East Tremont and East 179th Street. The district consist of attached brownstones.
Rather than having come from a colonial settlement, the name "Tremont" was invented by a postmaster in the 1800s, derived from the three ("tre") neighborhoods of Mount Eden, Mount Hope, and Fairmount in the west-central Bronx.
- PS 9: Ryer (East 183rd Street and Ryer Avenue)
- PS 28: Mount Hope (Mount Hope Place and Anthony Avenue)
- PS 79: Creston (East 181st Street and Creston Avenue)
- PS 163: Arthur Alonso Schomburg (East 180th Street and Webster Avenue)
- PS 173: (Walton Avenue and Mount Hope Place)
- PS/MS 279: Captain Manuel Rivera (East 181st Street and Walton Avenue)
- MS 117: Joseph H. Wade (East 176th Street and Morris Avenue)
- MS 331: The Bronx School of Science Inquiry and Investigation (West Tremont Avenue and Davidson Avenue)
- MS 391: Angelo Patri (East 182nd Street and Webster Avenue)
- PS 70: Max Schonberg School (Weeks Avenue bet. E. 173rd and E. 174th Streets)
- Bx1: Riverdale to Third Avenue – 138th Street station (6 <6> trains, via Grand Concourse)
- Bx2: Kingsbridge Heights to Third Avenue – 138th Street station (6 <6> trains, via Grand Concourse)
- Bx36: Castle Hill to George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal (via 180th Street)
- Bx40: to SUNY Maritime College or Morris Heights (via Tremont and Burnside Avenues)
- Bx41 (including SBS): to Gun Hill Road station (2 5 trains) or Third Avenue – 149th Street station (2 5 trains, via Webster Avenue)
- Bx42: Throgs Neck to Morris Heights (via Tremont and Burnside Avenues)
- Tremont Avenue station (B D trains)
- 182nd–183rd Streets station (B D trains)
- 176th Street station (4 train)
- Burnside Avenue station (4 train)
- 183rd Street station (4 train)
- Tremont Station (Metro-North)