|Born||March 7, 1973|
|Notable works||Chiaroscuro (vol. 1: 2000-2005/2007)|
Troy Little (born 7 March 1973) is a Canadian cartoonist working in comic books and animation. He is known for Chiaroscuro, a graphic novel whose first volume (out of three) was developed between 2000 and 2005 under his Meanwhile Studios imprint. After winning two grants (Xeric and P.E.I. Council of the Arts) and being praised by Dave Sim, Chiaroscuro vol. 1 was released in 2007 by IDW Publishing.
Troy Little was born on 7 March 1973 in Prince Edward Island, Canada. In 1994, he graduated from the Interpretive Illustration program of Sheridan College, and has since worked as an animator. After living 8 years in Ottawa, he moved back to Kensington, Prince Edward Island, Canada. He is the father of twins girls, Alicen and Hayden. In parallel to his daytime job in animation, he writes and draws his own graphic novels.
In September 2000, he started work on his self-published black & white comic series Chiaroscuro with which he was awarded in 2001 a Xeric Grant. The comic was published bi-monthly and ran for seven issues ending prematurely in 2003 (both Little and his then wife having lost their jobs and having twins to raise). Little eventually continued to draw the missing issues #8-10 to conclude the first volume. In 2005, he was awarded a P.E.I. Council of the Arts Grants to enable him to continue work on the series. In late 2005, he had completed his first storyline as the graphic novel Chiaroscuro: Patchwork Book 1 (collecting issues #1-10), and started sending out a 100-copy POD run to publishers.
In 2007, this first volume of Chiaroscuro received an excellent review by independent comics legend Dave Sim (creator of Cerebus) written on his Blog & Mail. This review brought the book to the attention of Ted Adams, President of IDW Publishing in San Diego. IDW published a hardcover edition of the graphic novel in October 2007, and its trade paperback edition in October 2008.
In January 2009, Troy Little released Angora Napkin, a standalone graphic novel from IDW Publishing. Angora Napkin is also being developed into an animated pilot for Teletoon's late night program "Teletoon at Night" which was broadcast on Halloween night, 2010.
Troy is currently working on the next "Angora Napkin" graphic novel, "Harvest of Revenge" which is scheduled to be released as an online serial in 2011 from IDW Publishing.
- 2001-2003: Chiaroscuro #1-7 (Meanwhile Studios)
- 2004-2005: Chiaroscuro #8-10 (drawn but not published)
- 2005: Chiaroscuro: Patchwork Book 1 (100-copy POD demo, late 2005, collecting #1-10)
- 2007: Chiaroscuro HC (IDW Publishing, October 2007 hardcover collecting #1-10)
- 2008: Chiaroscuro TP (IDW Publishing, October 2008 softcover collecting #1-10)
- Others comics
- 2009: Angora Napkin (IDW Publishing, graphic novel)
- 2012: Angora Napkin: Harvest of Revenge
- 2013: Powerpuff Girls (IDW Publishing, comic series)
- CBC News (2007-09-07). "P.E.I. comic artist signs with major publisher". www.CBC.ca. Archived from the original on 2008-01-18.
- Journal Pioneer; Jim Brown (2007-11-06). "Little comic book writer poised to hit big time". www.JournalPioneer.com.
- Troy Little. "About". www.MeanwhileStudios.com.
- Troy Little (October 2002). "Xeric winner speak: Chiaroscuro". www.Xeric Foundation.org. Archived from the original on 2008-01-23.
- Dave Sim (2007-01-17). "Dave Sim's blogandmail #128 (January 17th, 2007)". Blog & Mail. davesim.blogspot.com. Archived from the original on 2007-04-02.
Troy Little sent me a POD version of volume one of his graphic novel magnum opus Chiaroscuro [...] I was really, really impressed with what you have done with Chiaroscuro.
- Dave Sim (2007-07-12). "Dave Sim's blogandmail #304 (July 12th, 2007)". Blog & Mail. davesim.blogspot.com. Archived from the original on 2007-08-05.
I told Larry that I know Ted Adams at IDW reads the Blog & Mail on a regular basis and he actually picked up a couple of titles just because I mentioned them here. CHIAROSCURO was one of them.
- Xeric Foundation (September 2001). "Comic Book Self-Publishing Grants: September 2001". www.Xeric Foundation.org.
- See Troy Little, "About".
- See Xeric Foundation (September 2001).
- See Journal Pioneer (2007-11-06).
- See Dave Sim (2007-01-17).
- See CBC News (2007-09-07).
- See Troy Little (October 2002).
- See Dave Sim (2007-07-12).
- Single-issue publishing dates per Diamond Comic Distributors's "Shipping This Week" files: #1 on 2001-09-06, #2 on 2002-01-16, #3 on 2002-04-17, #4 on 2002-08-07, #5 on 2003-01-02, #6 on 2003-03-05, #7 on 2003-05-14.
- MeanwhileStudios.com – Troy Little's official website
- MeanwhileStudios.blogspot.com – Troy Little's official Blogspot
- Text interviews
- A 2009 interview of Troy Little at Comic Book Resources (about Angora Napkin, Chiaroscuro, and his career)
- Video interviews
- Video on YouTube from CBC (Flash link)
- Video on YouTube from Eastlink TV (Flash link)
- "Chiaroscuro from IDW with Troy Little", Oct. 2007 interview podcast from ComiXology (AAC link)