Teletoon at Night
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Format||Teen- and adult-oriented animated/live-action block|
|Running time||Daily from 9:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. Eastern and Pacific Time|
|Official website||Teletoon at Night|
Teletoon at Night is a nighttime program block airing on the Canadian cable and satellite television specialty channel Teletoon, which is owned by Corus Entertainment. Airing nightly from 9:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. Eastern and Pacific Time, the block features animated programming targeted towards older teen and adult audiences. It was launched in September 2002 as "The Detour on Teletoon," and was renamed as "Teletoon Detour" on September 1, 2008; the block adopted its current name in September 2009.
The block's French counterpart, Télétoon la nuit, airs on Teletoon's French-language channel Télétoon. The block as a whole is similar in format to Adult Swim, an adult-oriented nighttime program block on Cartoon Network in the United States, with Teletoon at Night airing much of the same programming that is featured on Adult Swim.
Teletoon at Night formerly was an amalgamation of two former program blocks that aired on Teletoon: the teenage-oriented block "The Detour," and the adult-oriented "Teletoon Unleashed" block, which had been dropped due to lack of new content. For the start of the 2006–07 season, a new Friday night companion block "F-Night" debuted, featuring a slightly different lineup consisting of mainly comedy series from the American Adult Swim block such as Tom Goes to the Mayor and Squidbillies.
From 2007 to 2010, most of the shows that were featured on the "F-Night" block were removed to make room for the "Fred at Night" segment, which began airing on Sundays at 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time, followed by a repeat of the earlier movie telecast. Movies shown during this block were mostly animated or were derived from comic books and other animated series. A majority of the films were designed to target an older teenage or adult audience, which was the intended target and purpose of "The Detour". If the movie did not fill the entire two- to 21⁄2-hour block, animated shorts (such as short films from the Animatrix) were used to fill the remaining time. Some movies shown on The Detour block were live-action films based on comics or animation (such as Scott Pilgrim vs. the World). This was not the first time that Teletoon had aired live-action series or movies, as Teletoon had aired the live-action Fireball XL-5 during the 1997–98 season.
During the fall of 2010, Teletoon at Night's weekend schedule was branded as Fred at Night, as it was hosted by Fearless Fred of Toronto radio station CFNY-FM. From December 31, 2010, Teletoon at Night's weekend schedule was rebranded as Double Night. In recent years, "Fred at Night" moved to Thursdays and, with the launch of the Canadian version of Adult Swim (via the Canadian version of Cartoon Network) in April of 2012, most of the original programming from the U.S. service has migrated to its Canadian counterpart.
This a list of programs being broadcast regularly.
- American Dad! (also airs on Global)
- The Awesomes
- Family Guy (also airs on Global)
- Robot Chicken (also airs on Adult Swim)
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
This is a list of former programming no longer regularly aired.
- Bromwell High
- Clone High
- Daft Planet
- The Dating Guy
- Delta State
- John Callahan's Quads!
- Life's a Zoo
- Pilot Project
- The Ripping Friends
- Sons of Butcher
- Station X
- Angry Kid
- Apollo's Pad
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force (later aired on G4 Canada's ADd block, now on Adult Swim)
- Assy McGee (now airs on Adult Swim)
- The Boondocks
- The Brak Show (now airs on Adult Swim)
- Code Monkeys
- The Critic
- Evil Con Carne
- Father of the Pride
- Frisky Dingo
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (later aired regularly on Teletoon, now airs on Cartoon Network)
- Grim & Evil
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law (Aired on G4 Canada's ADd, now airs on Adult Swim)
- The Head
- Hey Joel
- Home Movies
- Happy Tree Friends
- King of the Hill (Later moved to Teletoon Retro, now airs on Adult Swim)
- Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil (now airs on Adult Swim)
- The Maxx
- Metalocalypse (later aired on G4 Canada's ADd block, now on Adult Swim)
- Mission Hill
- The Oblongs
- Perfect Hair Forever (now airs on Adult Swim)
- Pond Life
- The Ren & Stimpy Show (now airs on Nickelodeon)
- Rick & Steve: The Happiest Gay Couple in All the World
- Sealab 2021 (now airs on Adult Swim)
- The Smoking Gun
- Space Ghost: Coast to Coast
- Spy Groove
- Saul of the Mole Men
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Squidbillies (later aired on G4 Canada's ADd block, now on Adult Swim)
- Spicy City
- Stroker and Hoop
- The Tick
- Time Squad
- Tripping the Rift (now airs on Space)
- Todd McFarlane's Spawn
- Tom Goes to the Mayor (later aired on G4 Canada's ADd block, now on Adult Swim)
- Xavier: Renegade Angel (later aired on G4 Canada's ADd block, now on Adult Swim)
- The Venture Bros. (later aired on G4 Canada's ADd block, now airs on Adult Swim)
- The Wrong Coast
- Teletoon Canada Inc.. TELETOON Canada inc. » Programming . . URL:http://corp.teletoon.com/en/?page_id=102. Accessed: 2010-12-25. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5vFEM1Hk0)
- "Seth Meyers Assembles Superhero…ish Team of Misfits In Animated Series The Awesomes". Retrieved 2014-08-28.
- "schedule | TELETOON at Night". Teletoon.com. Retrieved 2013-07-13.
- www.teletoonatnight.com – Teletoon at Night website