User talk:Waugh Bacon
The List_of_engineering_societies shows a red link to Institution of Railway Signal Engineers because the destination page is called The Institution of Railway Signal Engineers, unlike other engineering institution pages, which omit the 'The' from their name. Something strange is happening. Earlier today the red link (which discourages following the link) did in fact redirect to the correct page. After an aborted edit (of the list page), by me showing no entry in the history list, the red link now no longer redirects, but gives me the option of creating a new page. (Page title 'Editing Institution of Railway Signal Engineers'). Changing the page name of The Institution of Railway Signal Engineers to Institution_of_Railway_Signal_Engineers would solve the problem, and maintain the alphabetical structure of the list page (no 'The' before institution names), but this would entail edits to the 60 or so pages listed by the 'what links here' tool.
Question 1) What is going on with the link from List_of_engineering_societies? No one else is attempting an edit at the same time I am, as far as I can tell, which was my first thought. Is changed behaviour of the link to Institution of Railway Signal Engineers the result of a cookie?
Question 2) How do I change the page name to 'Institution of Railway Signal Engineers' if the problem with the red (sometimes redirecting) entry in the list page can't be solved? By solved I mean that the link is not shown in red, and that the link points to the destination page.
Question 3). Can I do a global search and replace on 'reverse' links containing The_Institution_of_Railway_Signal_Engineers, changing entries to Institution of Railway Signal Engineers if the destination page name is changed?
- 1) I'm not sure what you're asking so I'll leave this for someone else unless you can better explain.
- 2) You can move the page to it's new name, weather you should or not, I have not looked into. There is a move button at the top of the page.
- 3) Not really, but what you do it turn this article into a WP:REDIRECT to the new article.
- (edit conflict - but done)
- 1. Don't know; not sure how that could have happened, unless you were doing a 'search' or something instead of following a red link - red links will always edit the non-existent page; if it didn't...very mysterious, but I recommend blaming aliens or pretending it never happened.
- 3. Don't bother; the redirect will handle that; The Institution of Railway Signal Engineers will work fine. See here.
BBC Domesday Reloaded
Re: File:Sheffield Railways 1855.png
Hi. File:Sheffield Railways 1855.png is one of a series of maps I produced a few years ago intended to depict the railways of the Sheffield area at three points in history (pre-grouping, post-grouping, and modern). The others are File:Sheffield Railways 1930.png, File:Sheffield Railways 2005.png. Although I put extensive research into the maps at the time, and consulted with other Wikipedia editors as to their accuracy, I am sure that there are mistakes that got overlooked and I am happy to fix any that you find. The 1855 map was not produced for the S&R article, so if it is not needed there then that's OK. —Jeremy (talk) 02:33, 6 October 2012 (UTC)
Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Sunici, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Stannington (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.