Washington Township, Darke County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Darke County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Darke County.
|• Total||31.7 sq mi (82.1 km2)|
|• Land||31.7 sq mi (82.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,076 ft (328 m)|
|• Density||43.7/sq mi (16.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086026|
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jackson Township - north
- Brown Township - northeast corner
- Greenville Township - east
- Liberty Township - south
- Greensfork Township, Randolph County, Indiana - southwest
- Wayne Township, Randolph County, Indiana - northwest
No municipalities are located in Washington Township.
Name and history
Washington Township was established in 1819.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Wayne Baker, William Hart, and Joe Martin, and the clerk is Janet Feurer.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Darke County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- The History of Darke County, Ohio. W. H. Beers & Company. 1880. p. 438.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Trustees. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.