Wayne Township, Darke County, Ohio
|Wayne Township, Darke County, Ohio|
St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church, a landmark in the rural township
Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio.
|• Total||31.9 sq mi (82.6 km2)|
|• Land||31.9 sq mi (82.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||981 ft (299 m)|
|• Density||136.3/sq mi (52.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086027|
Wayne Township is one of the twenty townships of Darke County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 4,349 people in the township, 1,760 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Patterson Township - north
- Cynthian Township, Shelby County - northeast corner
- Loramie Township, Shelby County - east
- Newberry Township, Miami County - southeast
- Adams Township - south
- Richland Township - southwest
- York Township - northwest
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Michael Lawrence, Dennis Mestemaker, and Kenneth Moorman, and the clerk is Teresa Slonkosky.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Darke County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- The History of Darke County, Ohio. W. H. Beers & Company. 1880. p. 413.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Trustees. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.