While She Sleeps
|While She Sleeps|
Lawrence Taylor performing live in 2012
|Labels||Search And Destroy, The End Records, Small Town Records, Good Fight Music, Shock, Doom Patrol|
Lawrence "Loz" Taylor
|Past members||Jordan "The Face" Widdowson
While She Sleeps is a British metallic hardcore band from Sheffield, England. Formed in 2006, the group consists of vocalist Lawrence Taylor, guitarists Sean Long and Mat Welsh, bassist Aaran Mackenzie and drummer Adam Savage. They are currently signed to Search and Destroy Records in the UK, The End Records in the US and Shock Records in Australia. Since releasing their debut mini-album The North Stands for Nothing in 2010, they have gained a much increased following. Their debut studio album This Is the Six was released on 13 August 2012, whilst While She Sleeps have received a lot of praise from the UK press and won the award for Best British Newcomer at the Kerrang! Awards 2012.
Formation and The North Stands for Nothing (2006–2011)
While She Sleeps was formed in Renishaw, near Sheffield, England, in 2006 by vocalist Jordan 'The Face' Widdowson, backing vocalist Allan Worrall, drummer Adam Savage, bassist Aaran Mckenzie and guitarists Mat Welsh and Sean Long. The group had played together in several bands prior to forming While She Sleeps and are described as being "best mates since school". After a handful of live shows, in 2009 the majority of the group decided to focus on the band "full time", however, vocalist Widdowson decided to leave the band due to work commitments. With the addition of vocalist Lawrence Taylor the band began working on material for their debut mini-album in a home studio. From late 2009 through to 2010 the band toured heavily throughout the UK and eventually in to Europe. With growing public interest, the band finished work on The North Stands for Nothing which was released on 26 July 2010, through Small Town Records. The band held an album launch show on 24 June at The Plug in their hometown and followed its release with extensive touring throughout 2010, including an appearance at Sonisphere Festival. In October, they signed a deal with Good Fight Music to distribute their music in the United States.
Following the release of their mini-album – backed by their extensive touring – the band's popularity continued to increase and interest from media and labels grew. On 15 February 2011, the band recorded a live in session performance at Maida Vale Studios for BBC Radio 1. They also began to work on new material between touring, releasing the non-album single "Be(lie)ve" through Good Fight Music on 15 March 2011. On 4 May, While She Sleeps were invited to open for Bring Me the Horizon in Sheffield at the O2 Academy. In the summer, they performed at several festivals throughout Europe and supported Bring Me The Horizon for two shows in Ireland at the end of August. While She Sleeps were invited to tour the US with Bring Me the Horizon in August through to October. However, While She Sleeps had to cancel their dates in the US, citing problems with immigration. In October, the band went on their first headline tour through the UK and Europe, with support from Bury Tomorrow and Feed The Rhino.
This Is the Six (2012–present)
On 1 November 2011, While She Sleeps began working on their debut album with producer Carl Bown. First working in Chapel Studios in Lincolnshire, England, to record drums before moving to Treehouse Studios in Chesterfield, England, to record the rest of the album. After recording had finished, the band toured the UK in February 2012 as part of the Kerrang! Tour alongside New Found Glory, The Blackout, and letlive. It was announced on 27 March, that While She Sleeps had signed with Search and Destroy Records to release their début album. On 4 April, Kerrang! magazine revealed that the upcoming album This Is the Six will be released on 6 August 2012 however the release date was later changed to 13 August. The title track "This Is the Six" was released as the first single from the album on 13 May. While She Sleeps are scheduled to appear at festivals and shows throughout the UK and Europe in the summer, including their first appearance at Download Festival. Followed by their first tour of Australia as direct support for House vs Hurricane, in late July and early August. On 7 June 2012, While She Sleeps won an award for Best British Newcomer at the Kerrang! Awards 2012.
Following the success of their debut album, This Is The Six, released 13 August 2012,While she sleeps embarked on a full 9 date headline U.K tour during the September with support from Polar, Crossfaith and Bleed From Within. The band then embarked on a European Tour in the Fall, supporting Architects alongside Heights. While She Sleeps are confirmed, along with Motionless In White and Betraying The Martyrs to support Asking Alexandria in their upcoming UK and European Tour.The band also played the Soundwave Festival across Australia during 2013. The band are supporting Parkway Drive across America and Canada during spring 2013. The band will be embarking on the a short headline run of the U.K when returning from the ParkWay Drive tour. While She Sleeps are also confirmed on 4 January 2013 to be playing the entire length of Vans Warped Tour in America and Canada. During Warped Tour, they confirmed they had started to write their second full-length studio album.
While She Sleeps are generally recognized by professional reviewers as metallic hardcore. Personally citing hard rock and heavy metal bands such as; Thrice, Slipknot, Foo Fighters, Underoath, Refused, Comeback Kid, Gallows and Alexisonfire as musical influences. The band's sound typically features heavily down-tuned guitars, thick bass tones, screaming vocals and fast-paced drumming – occasionally complimented by melodic guitar tones and piano interludes. When questioned about the progression between their debut mini-album and their latest album, guitarist Welsh said that they have not changed their sound drastically. Saying that; "it's super heavy but then it's melodic too," suggesting that they have worked to their strengths while challenging themselves.
- Kerrang! Awards
|2012||While She Sleeps||Best British Newcomer||Won|
- Lawrence "Loz" Taylor – lead vocals (2009–2013)
- Sean Long – guitar (2006–2013)
- Mat Welsh – guitar, vocals (2006–2013)
- Aaran Mckenzie – bass (2006–2013)
- Adam Savage – drums (2006–2013)
- Former members
- Jordan "The Face" Widdowson – lead vocals (2006–2009)
- Studio albums
- The North Stands for Nothing (2010)
|2010||"Crows"||GETDELUXE||The North Stands for Nothing|
|"Hearts Aside Our Horses"|
|2011||"Be(lie)ve"||This Is the Six|
|2012||"Dead Behind the Eyes"|
|"This Is the Six"|
|"Our Courage, Our Cancer"||N/A|
|2013||"Death Toll"||This Is the Six (Deluxe Edition)|
- "WHILE SHE SLEEPS: 'This Is The Six' To Receive North American Release In November - Sep. 21, 2012". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Territt, Katie (2012-05-17). "Stereoboard speak to While She Sleeps about new album 'This Is The Six' & breaking their mold!". Stereoboard. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Interview: While She Sleeps. Hit The Floor Magazine. Event occurs at 1:30. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- Mckenzie, Aaran (2012-06-06). "WSS Bassist confirms reasons behind previous vocalists departure". Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "While She Sleeps". The Agency Group. 2010. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "While She Sleeps – The North Stands for Nothing. Album Launch.". The Plug. 2010-06-24. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- Bezer, Terry (2010-08-10). "Sonisphere Review: Motley Crue, Audrey Horne, While She Sleeps". Metal Hammer. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "While She Sleeps signs with Good Fight Music". Blabbermouth.net. 2010-10-15. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Carter, Daniel P. (2011-02-15). "While She Sleeps In Session". BBC. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Be(lie)ve – single". iTunes. 2011-03-15. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Reid, Sean (2011-01). "Parkway Drive and While She Sleeps Added to BMTH Sheffield Show". Alter The Press!. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "While She Sleeps Forced To Cancel US Tour". Legends Arising. 2011-08-20. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- While She Sleeps HEADLINE TOUR October 2011!. While She Sleeps. 2011-09-30.
- "While She Sleeps studio diary Part 1". Rock Sound. 2011-11-11. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "While She Sleeps studio diary Part 2". Rock Sound. 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Check out the new While She Sleeps track!". Kerrang!. 2012-04-02. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Brand New Sony Music/Raw Power Management Label ‘Search & Destroy’ Sign Don Broco & While She Sleeps". Hit The Floor Magazine. 2012-03-27. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "While She Sleeps reveal details of their new album". Kerrang!. 2012-04-04.
- "Important News For This Is The Six". wssofficial. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "While She Sleeps To Release New Single ‘This Is The Six’". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-01. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Stickler, Jon (2012-06-01). "Download Festival Reveals Stage Times". Stereoboard. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "House vs. Hurricane + While She Sleeps + Northlane + Heights". Loud. 2012-05-17. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "The Kerrang! Awards Fuelled By Relentless Energy Drink 2012 – The Winners!". Kerrang!. 2012-06-07. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- "This Is The Six: While She Sleeps’ Top Six Music Videos ... Part 1". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-14. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "This Is The Six: While She Sleeps’ Top Six Music Videos ... Part 2". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-15. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "This Is The Six: While She Sleeps’ Top Six Music Videos ... Part 3". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-16. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "This Is The Six: While She Sleeps’ Top Six Music Videos ... Part 4". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-17. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "This Is The Six: While She Sleeps’ Top Six Music Videos ... Part 5". Metal Hammer!. 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2012-06-05.