Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Maryland
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the WikiProject Maryland page.|
|Archives: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
- 1 census updates on population for most of the cities in maryland
- 2 P:MDRD FPOC
- 3 Baltimore St. Patrick's Day beating
- 4 GLAM Wiki meet-up in Baltimore on July 19
- 5 Luke Maryland Pollution being under-emphasized.
- 6 Edgewater
- 7 Wikipedia:Featured article candidates/Rosecroft Raceway/archive1
- 8 Merge discussion for John Allen Muhammad
- 9 Luke Maryland Mercury Pollution
- 10 Wikinic
- 11 Scope of WikiProject DC
- 12 Popular pages tool update
- 13 FAR
- 14 Split History of Frederick City into its own article
- 15 Archived
- 16 Frederick County History Edit-A-Thon
- 17 Template:Howard Count, Maryland
- 18 Coordinates for Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Bridge, Antietam Creek
- 19 Wiki Loves Pride 2014
- 20 Comment on the WikiProject X proposal
- 21 Expert attention
- 22 WikiProject X is live!
census updates on population for most of the cities in maryland
most of the numbers reflect the 2000 census, they really need to be updated if anyone have an inkling.
Baltimore St. Patrick's Day beating
There has been a beating at St. Patrick's Day in Baltimore, and there's press coverage:
- Kuebler, Brian. "Viral video suspect gets bail reduced; police looking for three others." ABC 2. April 16, 2002.
- Fenton, Justin. "$1 million bond set for man charged in videotaped beating." The Baltimore Sun. April 14, 2012.
- Fenton, Justin. "Internet shock video helps Baltimore police find victim, possible suspect." The Baltimore Sun. April 4, 2012.
- Fenton, Justin. "California blogger on Parsons arrest: I feel bad for him." The Baltimore Sun. Apirl 16, 2012.
GLAM Wiki meet-up in Baltimore on July 19
Baltimore Heritage is hosting an informal meet-up to continue discussion around partnerships between GLAMs (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) with Wikipedia in the Baltimore area that we started at the last Baltimore Meet-up. We'd welcome any Wikipedians interested in learning more about this topic and working on ideas for projects with local museums.
Baltimore GLAM Wiki Partnerships Meeting
- Thursday, July 19, 10:30 am
- 11 1/2 West Chase Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
- Metered on-street parking is available in the surrounding neighborhood.
Luke Maryland Pollution being under-emphasized.
It seems someone is altering the Luke, Maryland article to downplay the really huge amount of pollution in that town caused by the paper mill. Not only does the town stink to high heaven, (well, that could be considered original research) but the State of Maryland has identified it as huge "point source" of mercury. The place is poisoned, and though Wikipedia is not supposed to be political there is no question at all that it's appropriate to report it as there are plenty of soruces for it. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 20:32, 20 August 2012 (UTC)
- You mentioned plenty of sources; if they're reliable, you're welcome to list them. The Luke, Maryland article already includes a sentence/paragraph on mercury pollution from its paper plant, backed up by a 2008 Baltimore Sun article. —ADavidB 06:26, 21 August 2012 (UTC)
I have nominated Rosecroft Raceway, a harness racing track in Maryland, for a featured article. However, there has not been many comments, and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could take a took at it. Thank you to everyone in advance!
—Michael Jester (talk · contribs) 22:36, 25 November 2012 (UTC)
Merge discussion for John Allen Muhammad 
An article that you have been involved in editing, John Allen Muhammad , has been proposed for a merge with another article. If you are interested in the merge discussion, please participate by going here, and adding your comments on the discussion page. Thank you. RightCowLeftCoast (talk) 14:52, 16 February 2013 (UTC)
Luke Maryland Mercury Pollution
I think there should be more emphasis on the terrible mercury pollution from the paper mill in Luke Maryland.
This paper mill is putting out something like 250 pounds of mercury a year.
It is upstream from Washington DC and so pollutes all the lower Potomac, meaning a huge tidal area in the lower Chesapeake.
- Just remember that editors here are to take a neutral stance. References should be to reliable sources and represent all significant views on the subject.
|Great American Wiknic - Chestertown, MD|
|You are invited to the third Great American Wiknic taking place in Chestertown, MD, on Saturday, June 22, 2013 starting at noon! This is a chance for all of the wikipedians in the Eastern Shore to meet for an afternoon of fun and fellowship. This is a bring your own lunch event, if you have special treats you would like to share feel free to bring them. We would love to have you there!|
Scope of WikiProject DC
Hi! I started a discussion about the DC WikiProject scope at Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_District_of_Columbia#Expand_scope.3F. I would like to extend the project's scope to the whole metro area. WhisperToMe (talk) 03:33, 29 May 2013 (UTC)
Popular pages tool update
As of January, the popular pages tool has moved from the Toolserver to Wikimedia Tool Labs. The code has changed significantly from the Toolserver version, but users should notice few differences. Please take a moment to look over your project's list for any anomalies, such as pages that you expect to see that are missing or pages that seem to have more views than expected. Note that unlike other tools, this tool aggregates all views from redirects, which means it will typically have higher numbers. (For January 2014 specifically, 35 hours of data is missing from the WMF data, which was approximated from other dates. For most articles, this should yield a more accurate number. However, a few articles, like ones featured on the Main Page, may be off).
Web tools, to replace the ones at tools:~alexz/pop, will become available over the next few weeks at toollabs:popularpages. All of the historical data (back to July 2009 for some projects) has been copied over. The tool to view historical data is currently partially available (assessment data and a few projects may not be available at the moment). The tool to add new projects to the bot's list is also available now (editing the configuration of current projects coming soon). Unlike the previous tool, all changes will be effective immediately. OAuth is used to authenticate users, allowing only regular users to make changes to prevent abuse. A visible history of configuration additions and changes is coming soon. Once tools become fully available, their toolserver versions will redirect to Labs.
If you have any questions, want to report any bugs, or there are any features you would like to see that aren't currently available on the Toolserver tools, see the updated FAQ or contact me on my talk page. Mr.Z-bot (talk) (for Mr.Z-man) 05:15, 23 February 2014 (UTC)
I have nominated Music of Maryland for a featured article review here. Please join the discussion on whether this article meets featured article criteria. Articles are typically reviewed for two weeks. If substantial concerns are not addressed during the review period, the article will be moved to the Featured Article Removal Candidates list for a further period, where editors may declare "Keep" or "Delist" the article's featured status. The instructions for the review process are here. Dana boomer (talk) 16:59, 23 February 2014 (UTC)
Split History of Frederick City into its own article
I've proposed to split the History section of Frederick, Maryland into its own article, but haven't received any feedback from any other parts of the community on this proposal. If anyone here would like to drop into the discussion with some support or some issues, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! Zell Faze (talk) 19:32, 26 March 2014 (UTC)
Frederick County History Edit-A-Thon
|Frederick County History Edit-A-Thon|
|You are invited to join us in writing articles on Frederick County History the edit-a-thon will be taking place in Frederick, MD, on Saturday, June 14, 2014 starting at noon (presentation on local history and Wikipedia to begin at 11)! We're really looking forward to improving Wikipedia articles related to the rich history of Frederick County. Please bring your own laptop and charger. We look forward to seeing you!|
Template:Howard Count, Maryland
I've added Template:Merge to to Template:Howard Count, Maryland suggesting the content be merged into to Template:Howard County, Maryland. Just the fact that it had to be named with typo is a good argument to start with. -- Pemilligan (talk) 21:13, 27 April 2014 (UTC)
- This seems to be a problem with several counties: the same situation pertains for Montgomery County. Not sure which way to go with these in merging, though. Mangoe (talk) 23:27, 28 April 2014 (UTC)
I found these templates in Category:Maryland county navigational boxes but I haven't examined all of them closely to see how much duplication there might be:
- Template:Howard County, Maryland (topics navbox)
- Template:Howard County, Maryland
- Template:Montgomery County, Maryland
- Template:Montgomery County, Maryland (topics navbox)
- Template:Prince George's County
- Template:Prince George's County, Maryland
- I went ahead and moved Template:Howard Count, Maryland to Template:Howard County, Maryland (topics navbox) so that the name conflict was resolved in a somewhat better way. Personally I think that the templates cover distinct sets of topics and should not be merged. The unparenthesised templates cover the various communities and municipalities in each county. The parenthesised templates cover things like the administration, culture, and other notable features of the county itself. I see no reason to merge them. I wouldn't want Template:Howard County, Maryland (topics navbox) included in the bottom of an article about a small rural town in Howard County, but I would want Template:Howard County, Maryland included. Likewise on an article about the government of Howard County I would probably prefer Template:Howard County, Maryland (topics navbox) to Template:Howard County, Maryland. The main article on the county, and perhaps its capital should include both. A few other articles might warrant both as well. Zell Faze (talk) 17:46, 2 May 2014 (UTC)
- Also I wouldn't mind moving Template:Prince George's County to Template:Prince George's County, Maryland (topics navbox) just to make everything the same. Zell Faze (talk) 17:48, 2 May 2014 (UTC)
Coordinates for Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Bridge, Antietam Creek
- Nevermind, somehow I forgot that I was looking at an older version of the project page. I've figured it out now based on the rest of the discussion. Zell Faze (talk) 19:34, 1 May 2014 (UTC)
You are invited to participate in Wiki Loves Pride 2014, a campaign to create and improve LGBT-related content at Wikipedia and its sister projects. The campaign will take place throughout the month of June, culminating with a multinational edit-a-thon on June 21. Meetups are being held in some cities, or you can participate remotely. All constructive edits are welcome in order to contribute to Wikipedia's mission of providing quality, accurate information. Articles within Category:LGBT in the Americas may be of particular interest. You can also upload LGBT-related images by participating in Wikimedia Commons' LGBT-related photo challenge. You are encouraged to share the results of your work here. Happy editing! --Another Believer (Talk) 20:59, 5 June 2014 (UTC)
Comment on the WikiProject X proposal
Hello there! As you may already know, most WikiProjects here on Wikipedia struggle to stay active after they've been founded. I believe there is a lot of potential for WikiProjects to facilitate collaboration across subject areas, so I have submitted a grant proposal with the Wikimedia Foundation for the "WikiProject X" project. WikiProject X will study what makes WikiProjects succeed in retaining editors and then design a prototype WikiProject system that will recruit contributors to WikiProjects and help them run effectively. Please review the proposal here and leave feedback. If you have any questions, you can ask on the proposal page or leave a message on my talk page. Thank you for your time! (Also, sorry about the posting mistake earlier. If someone already moved my message to the talk page, feel free to remove this posting.) Harej (talk) 22:47, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
This is a notice about Category:Maryland articles needing expert attention, which might be of interest to your WikiProject. It will take a while before the category is populated. Iceblock (talk) 17:10, 12 October 2014 (UTC)
WikiProject X is live!
You may have received a message from me earlier asking you to comment on my WikiProject X proposal. The good news is that WikiProject X is now live! In our first phase, we are focusing on research. At this time, we are looking for people to share their experiences with WikiProjects: good, bad, or neutral. We are also looking for WikiProjects that may be interested in trying out new tools and layouts that will make participating easier and projects easier to maintain. If you or your WikiProject are interested, check us out! Note that this is an opt-in program; no WikiProject will be required to change anything against its wishes. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Note: To receive additional notifications about WikiProject X on this talk page, please add this page to Wikipedia:WikiProject X/Newsletter. Otherwise, this will be the last notification sent about WikiProject X.