William Burke, 7th Earl of Clanricarde
Burke had served with his brother Richard, the 6th Earl under their cousin, Ulick Burke, 5th Earl of Clanricarde, during the Irish Confederate Wars and they each succeeded to his title. He became Lord Lieutenant of County Galway in 1680 and its Chief Governor in 1687.
His first wife was Lettice Shirley, daughter of Sir Henry Shirley and Lady Dorothy Devereux and granddaughter of Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex. By her he had three sons including his heir, Richard. His second wife was Helen, daughter of Donough MacCarty, 1st Earl of Clancarty, by whom he had two sons and two daughters.
Children with Lettice Shirley:
- Richard Burke, 8th Earl of Clanricarde (d. a Nov 1702)
- Thomas Burke
- John Burke, 9th Earl of Clanricarde (1642-17 Oct 1722)
Children with Helen MacCarty:
- Lady Margaret Burke (d. 19 Jul 1744)
- Ulick Burke, 1st Viscount Galway (d. 12 Jul 1691)
- William Burke
- Lady Honora Burke (16 Jan 1674-16 Jan 1698)
|Peerage of Ireland|
Richard Burke, 6th Earl of Clanricarde
|Earl of Clanricarde
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Portumna Castle and its Lords, Michael Mac Mahon, 1983.
- Burke:People and Places, Eamon Bourke, Dublin, 1995.
- From Warlords to Landlords:Political and Social Change in Galway 1540-1640, Bernadette Cunningham, in "Galway:History and Society", 1996.