You Give Love a Bad Name (song)
|"You Give Love a Bad Name"|
|Single by Bon Jovi|
|from the album Slippery When Wet|
|B-side||"Raise Your Hands"/"Let It Rock"|
|Released||July 23, 1986|
|Format||CD single, 7"|
|Genre||Glam metal, hard rock|
|Writer(s)||Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora and Desmond Child|
|Bon Jovi singles chronology|
"You Give Love a Bad Name" is a song written by Jon Bon Jovi, Desmond Child, and Richie Sambora about a woman who has jilted her lover. The track was released as the first single from the album Slippery When Wet and hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on November 29, 1986, Bon Jovi's first number one hit. The song reentered the charts at #29 after Blake Lewis performed it on American Idol. In 2009 it was named the 20th-greatest hard rock song of all time by VH1. Despite the lyrics of the chorus, the song should not be confused with "Shot Through the Heart", an unrelated song from Bon Jovi's 1984 self-tited debut album.
The song was written with several catchy repeated lines and associated hooks to appeal to mainstream audiences including the chorus as well as several bridges.
This song is written in the key of C minor and has a tempo of 123 BPM.
The album version of the song ends with the title being repeated until it fades.
Music video 
The music video for the song used all-color concert footage (the only all-color video song from Slippery When Wet) and photogenic shots primarily of Jon Bon Jovi as well as other band members in concert. This video was filmed at the Olympic auditorium in Los Angeles, California.
Other versions 
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (May 2011)|
The song was also covered by the metalcore band Atreyu and is available on the Japanese Version of their 2004 album The Curse. It was covered on the Kerrang! CD, High Voltage. It is frequently played during their shows even though it was voted one of the year's biggest rock atrocities in Total Guitar.
Demi Lovato covered this in one of her concerts.
In pop culture 
Ranked Number 20 in VH1's "100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs".
The song was made playable in the music rhythm video games, GuitarFreaks 6th Mix/Drummania 5th Mix, as well as Lego Rock Band, Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades, and Guitar Hero 5. The Guitar Hero version retains the original studio ending with no fade out, with a song length of 4:07. In Guitar Hero, Jon stopped singing and the band continues singing was actually from the original version as the song has crossfaded to Livin' On a Prayer. The version features an ending solo.
The song was reworked and made available to download on November 9, 2010 for use in the Rock Band 3 music gaming platform in both Basic rhythm, and notably PRO mode which takes advantage of the addition of a real guitar / bass guitar, and use of standard MIDI-compatible electronic drum kits / keyboards in addition to three-part vocal harmonies or backup vocals. The ending features an a cappella chorus section like how the band usually ends the song in live performances.
The song was featured in the "Youth in Revolt" trailer.
KickBend evokes the "angel's smile" lyric in their song "Gone'" from the album faith.hope.love (2009).
The song also features at the beginning of the Series Four finale episode of "The Vampire Diaries" titled "Graduation"
Chart performance 
Peak positions 
Year-end charts 
- "Allmusic (Bon Jovi charts & awards) Billboard singles".
- "spreadit.org music". Retrieved February 7, 2009.
- Kohler, Chris (2010-11-09). "Bon Jovi Rock Band Tracks Upgraded with Pro Keys, Guitars". Wired. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- Snider, Mike (2010-06-10). "Rock Band 3: What's New, What's Notable". USA Today. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Bon Jovi – You Give Love a Bad Name – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- "Ultratop.be – Bon Jovi – You Give Love a Bad Name" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Top Singles - December 27 1986". RPM. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- [title=You+Give+Love+a+Bad+Name "Search the Charts - You Give Love a Bad Name"]. Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Bon Jovi – You Give Love a Bad Name" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100. Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Charts.org.nz – Bon Jovi – You Give Love a Bad Name". Top 40 Singles. Hung Medien.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Bon Jovi – You Give Love a Bad Name". Singles Top 60. Hung Medien.
- "Bon Jovi" UK Singles Chart. Official Charts Company.
- "Bon Jovi Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Bon Jovi. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Top 100 Singles of '86". RPM. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Top Pop Singles". Billboard. 27 December 1986. p. Y-21. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Top 100 Singles of '87". RPM. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
"Human" by The Human League
|Billboard Hot 100 number one single (Bon Jovi version)
November 29, 1986 - December, 6 1986 (1 Week)
"The Next Time I Fall" by Peter Cetera and Amy Grant