1945 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race
|1st Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race|
|Date||26 December 1945 – 3 January 1946|
|Number of Yachts||9|
The 1945 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race was the inaugural running of the annual "blue water classic", the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. It was hosted by the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia based in Sydney, New South Wales. The race was initially planned to be a cruise planned by Peter Luke and some friends who had formed a club for those who enjoyed cruising as opposed to racing. The plan was changed, however, when a visiting British Royal Navy Officer, Captain John Illingworth, famously suggested, "Why don’t we make a race of it?"
The inaugural race, like all those that have followed, began on Sydney Harbour, at noon on Boxing Day (26 December), before heading south for 630 nautical miles (1,170 km) through the Tasman Sea, past Bass Strait, into Storm Bay and up the Derwent River, to cross the finish line in Hobart, Tasmania.
Peter Luke's record for longest-ever time to finish the course stands to this day: 11 days, 6hours, and 20 minutes.
9 yachts registered to begin the 1945 Sydney to Hobart Yacht race. They are:
|LH (Elapsed) Time
|HW (Corrected) Time |
|Ambermerle||(NSW)||J Colquhoun, C Kiel||NA|
|Horizon||(NSW)||J R Bartlett||NA|
|Mistral II||(NSW)||Robert Evans||NA|
|Rani||Captain John Illingworth, RN||NA||6:14:22:00||4:9:38:00|
|Saltair||A E and R M Walker||NA|
|Winston Churchill||P Coverdale||NA|
|Line Honours||LH (Elapsed) Time
|Handicap Winner||HW (Corrected) Time |
- Richmond, J. R.W; Naval Historical Society of Australia (1997), The Sydney to Hobart yacht race 1945, Naval Historical Society of Australia, retrieved 26 December 2013
- "SYDNEY TO HOBART YACHT RACE". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 29 December 1945. p. 10. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "SYDNEY-HOBART YACHT RACE". The Examiner. Launceston, Tas.: National Library of Australia. 18 December 1945. p. 4. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "YACHT RACE TO HOBART". The Canberra Times. National Library of Australia. 29 December 1945. p. 3. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- Ludeke, Michael (2002), The Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, 1945–2001, Ludeke Publishing, ISBN 978-0-9579284-0-4
- "Sydney to Hobart race statistics 1945-2000.(Statistical Data Included)", Offshore Yachting, OCEAN Media Pty Ltd: 86(5), 1 December 2001, retrieved 26 December 2013
- "Sydney to Hobart the race history 1945–2000", Offshore Yachting, OCEAN Media Pty Ltd: 80(6), 1 December 2001, retrieved 26 December 2013