1950 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Austrian painter Arnulf Rainer founds the Hundsgruppe ("dog pack") with Arik Brauer, Ernst Fuchs and Josef Mikl.
- Paint by number kits introduced by Max S. Klein, an engineer and owner of the Palmer Paint Company of Detroit, and Dan Robbins.
- Ernst Gombrich's The Story of Art is published by Phaidon Press.
- Jean Arp – Evocation of a Form: Human, Lunar, Spectral (model for bronze)
- Francis Bacon – Fragment of a Crucifixion
- Marc Chagall – La Mariée
- Salvador Dalí – The Madonna of Port Lligat (second version, Fukuoka Art Museum)
- Robert Doisneau – Le baiser de l'hôtel de ville (The Kiss) (photograph)
- Alberto Giacometti – The Chariot
- Maruki Iri and Maruki Toshi – Ghosts, Fire and Water (Yūrei, Hi and Mizu), first of The Hiroshima Panels (原爆の図, Genbaku no zu)
- L. S. Lowry – The Pond
- Henri Matisse – Beasts of the Sea (paper collage)
- Henry Moore – Family Group (Stevenage New Town, UK)
- Jackson Pollock – Autumn Rhythm, Number 30
- William Scott – Bowl, Eggs and Lemons
- Vladimir Tretchikoff – Chinese Girl, popularly known as "The Green Lady"
- Keith Vaughan – Theseus and the Minotaur (Tate Britain)
- April 22 – Thierry Zéno, Belgian filmmaker
- June 24 – Bob Carlos Clarke, Irish photographer (d. 2006)
- July 29 – Jenny Holzer, American neo-conceptual artist
- August 30
- November 10 – Jonathan Janson, American painter and art historian
- December 11 – Aleksandr Tatarskiy, Russian animator, artist and film director (d. 2007).
- February 12 – Boris Vladimirski, painter of the Socialist Realism school (b. 1878)
- September 26 – Pierre Roy, painter, illustrator and designer
- December 7 – Wojciech Weiss, painter and draughtsman (b. 1875)
- December 28 – Max Beckmann, painter (b. 1884)
- date unknown
- Lucas, Dean (2007-04-17). "Famous Pictures Magazine — Kissing Couple". Retrieved 2012-04-14.