1947 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- February 12 – Christian Dior introduces The "New Look" in women's fashion, in Paris.
- October 2 – São Paulo Museum of Art opens to the public in Brazil.
- Peggy Guggenheim closes The Art of This Century Gallery.
- Journalist Tancrede Marcil Jr. coins the term Les Automatistes in a review of their Montreal exhibition.
- Norman Rockwell produces the first of his Four Seasons calendar illustrations for Brown & Bigelow.
- Jackson Pollock produces the first of his Drip Paintings, the series that brings him international acclaim, in the Springs, East Hampton, New York.
- Béla Hamvas and his wife Katalin write Forradalom a művészetben: Absztrakció és szürrealizmus Magyarországon ("Revolution in Art: Abstraction and Surrealism in Hungary").
- Robert Woods Bliss acquires the Dumbarton Oaks birthing figure.
See also: Category:1947 sculptures
- Sir Russell Drysdale – Sofala
- M. C. Escher
- Alberto Giacometti
- Jean Hélion – A Rebours (Musée National d'Art Moderne, Paris)
- Alfred Janes – Little Cactus
- Louis le Brocquy – Travelling Woman with Newspaper
- Henri Matisse
- Sidney Nolan – The Trial
- José Clemente Orozco – watercolor illustrations for John Steinbeck's The Pearl
- Eduardo Paolozzi – I was a Rich Man's Plaything (collage)
- Bill Traylor – Construction with Figures and Animals
- January 9 – Ronnie Landfield, painter
- January 27 – Cal Schenkel, American painter and illustrator
- February 14 – Ed Hamilton, sculptor
- March 12 – Kalervo Palsa, Finnish artist (died 1987)
- March 29 – Sarah Charlesworth, conceptual artist and photographer
- April 17 – Sherrie Levine, appropriation artist
- April 20 – Vladimír Novák, painter
- June 1 – Anna Hoffman-Uddgren, Swedish actress, cabaret singer, music hall and revue artist and theatre and film director
- June 5 – Laurie Anderson, experimental performance artist and musician
- June 15 – John Hoagland, American photographer (d.1984)
- December – Richard Amsel, American illustrator and graphic designer (d.1985)
- date unknown
- January 23 – Pierre Bonnard, French painter and printmaker (born 1867)
- March 2 – Stanhope Forbes, English painter of the Newlyn school (born 1857)
- March 19 – Prudence Heward, Canadian painter (born 1896)
- March 25 – Chen Cheng-po, Taiwanese painter (born 1895) (shot)
- April 21 – Gustave Van de Woestijne, Belgian Expressionist painter (born 1881)
- May 25 – Rupert Bunny, Australian painter (born 1864)
- June 9 – Augusto Giacometti, Swiss painter (born 1877)
- June 13 – Albert Marquet, Fauvist painter (born 1875)
- July 25 – Kathleen Scott (Lady Scott), sculptor (born 1878)
- August 9 – Seraphima Blonskaya, painter and art teacher (born 1870)
- September 20 – Edward McCartan, American sculptor (born 1879)
- November 8 – Mariano Benlliure, Spanish sculptor (born 1862)
- November 20 – Georg Kolbe, German sculptor (born 1877)
- December 1 – Samuel Courtauld, art collector (born 1876)
- December 30 – Han van Meegeren, Dutch painter and art forger (born 1889)