2013 Scottish League Cup Final
The match programme cover.
|Event||2012–13 Scottish League Cup|
|Date||17 March 2013|
|Venue||Hampden Park, Glasgow|
|Man of the Match||Paul McGowan (St Mirren)|
The 2013 Scottish League Cup Final was the 67th final of the Scottish League Cup.The final took place on 17 March 2013 at Hampden Park, Glasgow. The clubs contesting the 2013 final were SPL clubs, St Mirren and Hearts.
As Hearts finished in the top five of the SPL, they entered the League Cup in the third round. They made a convincing start, defeating Livingston in third round. A much tougher test awaited the Jambos in the shape of Dundee United in the quarter-finals, although they defeated the 2008/09 semi-finalists on penalty kicks. Hearts came up against Inverness CT in the semi-finals at Easter Road and were again victorious on penalties.
St Mirren finished 8th in the SPL and entered the League Cup in the second round. They too made a fantastic start, thrashing Ayr United. Hamilton were the Buddies' opponents in the third round and Danny Lennon's men sneaked through after a goal in stoppage time. The quarter-finals saw the Saints take a trip up to Pittodire to face Aberdeen, and after a 2–2 draw after extra time, the men from Paisley won on penalties. A trip to Hampden Park for the semi-finals saw St Mirren run out 3–2 winners against Celtic and set up a final against Hearts. St Mirren won the final 3-2 against Hearts. It was their first major trophy since the 1987 Scottish Cup victory.
Route to the final
Hearts were one of the five Scottish Premier League sides who entered the League Cup in the third round. St Mirren finished 8th in the Scottish Premier League the previous season and entered the League Cup in the second round.
|Second round||Ayr United||5–1 (h)|
|Third round||Hamilton||1–0 (h)|
|Quarter-final||Aberdeen||1–1 (4–2 p) (a)|
|Third round||Livingston||3–1 (h)|
|Quarter-final||Dundee United||1–1 (5–4 p) (a)|
|Semi-final||Inverness CT||1–1 (5–4 p) (n)|
In the third round Hearts faced a home tie against First Division team Livingston. Two goals from Marius Žaliūkas and one from Danny Grainger saw the Jambos through comfortably. In the next round Hearts faced fellow Scottish Premier League team Dundee United at Tannadice. Callum Paterson opened the scoring for Hearts before Johnny Russell equalised for the home side.
17 March 2013
|St Mirren||3–2||Heart of Midlothian|
|Report||Stevenson 10', 85'|
- "St Mirren seal historic League Cup win". ESPN. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "St Mirren's Cup win worth the wait". BBC Sport. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "St Mirren 3 Hearts 2: Saints write their names in league cup history after 67 years". Daily Record. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Saints survive dramatic finish to lift League Cup and win first trophy for 26 years". Daily Mail. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "St Mirren 3 Hearts 2: Trophy hunt finally ends after 26 years". The Independent. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Scottish Communities League Cup final: St Mirren 3 Hearts 2". Daily Telegraph. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "St Mirren 5–1 Ayr United". BBC Sport. 29 August 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "St Mirren 1–0 Hamilton". BBC Sport. 25 September 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Aberdeen 2–2 St Mirren (2–4 pens)". BBC Sport. 30 October 2012. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "St Mirren 3–2 Celtic". BBC Sport. 27 January 2013. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "Hearts 3 – 1 Livingston". BBC Sport. 25 September 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Dundee United 1–1 Hearts (4–5 pens)". BBC Sport. 31 October 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Inverness 1–1 Hearts (4–5 pens)". BBC Sport. 26 January 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2013.