2015 May Day protests
|2015 May Day protests|
|Part of May Day protests|
|Date||1 May 2015|
|Parties to the civil conflict|
The 2015 May Day protests were a series of international protests involving tens of thousands of people that took place worldwide on May Day (1 May 2015) over austerity measures and poor working conditions.
Protests in Milan were primarily peaceful with about 30,000 demonstrators attending according to organizers and denounced the Expo 2015 meeting. Some protests were violent with about 500 individuals equipped with motorcycle helmets and batons gathered near Piazza XXIV Maggio far from the Expo 15 convention. Violent protesters clashed with police, torched several vehicles and a few business, broke windows of shops and threw homemade explosives at some businesses.
This section does not cite any sources. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Aftermath of conviction of former president Mohamed Nasheed of Maldives, a series of small protests started in the capital city of Maldives. Opposition parties Adaalath Party & Maldivian Democratic Party joined to conduct the large protest on Mal'e City which is known as Maldivian May Day. It was estimated that around 7000 people around the Maldives came to the capital city of Maldives. After a bloody protest and the arrest of an opposition leader Imran Abdulla Protests was over around 00:30 in local time.
Authorities blocked access to Taksim Square by blocking transportation routes and dispersed protesters with water cannons and tears gas. It was estimated by Turkish media that 20,000 police were sent out with 62 water cannon trucks and 203 individuals involved in the Istanbul protests were arrested.
An annual protest march was held in Seattle for numerous causes, such as immigrant rights, labor rights, and solidarity with the 2015 Baltimore protests. The originally peaceful protests turned violent later in the day when a group of self-described anarchists began smashing windows, burning trash cans, and clashing with riot police. Five officers ultimately suffered injuries, while sixteen people were arrested for property destruction and assault of police officers.
- Alfory, Phillipe; Williams, Stuart (1 May 2015). "Police fire tear gas to disperse Turkey May Day protesters". Business Insider. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- McKinnon, Angus (1 May 2015). "Violent clashes overshadow start of Milan Expo". Business Insider. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- "Hundreds arrested following Turkey May Day protests". Middle East Eye. 1 May 2015. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- Bacchi, Umberto; Iaccino, Ludovica; Mezzofiore, Gianluca (1 May 2015). "Milan Expo 2015: Violent May Day protests at No Expo anti-capitalist demonstration". International Business Times. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- "Seattle 'riot': Police deploy flashbangs, tear gas against May Day marchers (VIDEOS) — RT America". rt.com. Retrieved 2017-04-28.
- "Videos: Seattle May Day protests and riots". freep.com. Retrieved 2017-04-28.
- TEGNA. "May Day protest turns into riot | KING5.com". king5.com. Retrieved 2017-04-28.
- "May Day protesters clash with police as violence erupts in Seattle and Oakland | World news | The Guardian". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2017-04-28.
- "May Day: Clashes erupt in Seattle; 3 officers injured - CNN.com". cnn.com. Retrieved 2017-04-28.