2017 in Zimbabwe
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following lists events from the year 2017 in Zimbabwe.
- President: Robert Mugabe (until 21 November), Emmerson Mnangagwa (since 24 November)
- First Vice President: Emmerson Mnangagwa (until 6 November), Constantino Chiwenga (starting 28 December)
- Second Vice President: Phelekezela Mphoko (until 27 November), Kembo Mohadi (starting 28 December)
- 3 March - 2016–17 Zimbabwe floods: Government officials say that floods since December 2016 have killed 246 people and over 2000 people remain homeless as a result.
- 10 June - President Mugabe sacks Johannes Tomana from the role of chief prosecutor after a tribunal found him guilty of sexual misconduct and incompetence.
- 3 November - American producer Martha O'Donovan is arrested for allegedly attempting to overthrow the President.
- 6 November - Vice President Mnangagwa is fired by Mugabe as a move perceived to be an attempt to get his wife, Grace, to succeed him as President if he dies.
- 14 November - Military forces take up positions on the streets of the capital of Harare in what the ruling party, ZANU-PF, calls an act of treason.
- 15 November - President Mugabe is overthrown as military forces seize the capital and a news station reporting the coup. The military issues a statement to remain calm and support the country's development as several officials are arrested.
- 18 November - Thousands of Zimbabweans celebrate on the streets of Harare at the downfall of Mugabe.
- 19 November - Mugabe is fired from the presidency of ZANU-PF and is replaced with Mnangagwa. He refuses to resign amid a request giving him 24 hours to do so or face impeachment.
- 21 November - Mugabe resigns after impeachment proceedings are launched.
- 24 November - Emmerson Mnangagwa is sworn in as the third President of Zimbabwe with elections pending next year.
- 25 November - Former finance minister Ignatius Chombo, arrested during the coup, is charged by the courts with corruption, fraud and power abuse.
- 16 June – Edzai Kasinauyo, footballer (b. 1975)
- "Zimbabwe floods killed 246, made thousands homeless".
- "President Mugabe sacks Zimbabwe's chief prosecutor Johannes Tomana".
- "American television producer jailed for trying to 'overthrow' Zimbabwe's President Mugabe with a tweet".
- "Robert Mugabe sacks vice-president to clear path to power for wife".
- "Soldiers on Harare streets as ruling party accuses Zimbabwe army chief of treason".
- "Soldiers take over Zimbabwe state broadcaster: ZBC staff".
- "'The situation has moved to another level': Zimbabwe army statement in full".
- "Zimbabwe crowds rejoice as they demand end to Mugabe rule".
- "Chaos in Zimbabwe after Mugabe fails to announce expected resignation".
- "Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns ending decades-long dictatorship".
- "Zimbabwe's 'Crocodile' Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in as leader".
- "Ousted Zimbabwe finance minister Chombo faces corruption charges".
- "Bishop Patrick Mumbure Mutume †". catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 9 February 2017.