This article does not cite any sources. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|497 by topic|
|Ab urbe condita||1250|
|Balinese saka calendar||418–419|
|Chinese calendar||丙子年 (Fire Rat)|
3193 or 3133
— to —
丁丑年 (Fire Ox)
3194 or 3134
|- Vikram Samvat||553–554|
|- Shaka Samvat||418–419|
|- Kali Yuga||3597–3598|
|Iranian calendar||125 BP – 124 BP|
|Islamic calendar||129 BH – 128 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1415 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||808/809 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1039–1040|
623 or 242 or −530
— to —
624 or 243 or −529
Year 497 (CDXCVII) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Anastasius without colleague (or, less frequently, year 1250 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 497 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperor Anastasius I gives formal recognition to the Ostrogoth king Theodoric the Great, as his representative (viceroy) in Italy. He sends the imperial standard to Ravenna. Theodoric respects the agreement and allows Roman citizens within the Ostrogothic Kingdom to be subject to Roman law.
- Isaurian War: Anastasius I regains control of the Isauria region (Asia Minor) and has the rebel leaders executed. He pacifies the mountain strongholds of the Isaurians, ending the revolt that they began upon his ascension to the throne 6 years ago.
- The Shaolin Temple (Henan) is founded (according to the Jiaqing Chongxiu Yitongzhi). For alternate founding date, see 477 or 495).
Arts and sciences
- Aryabhata, Indian astronomer and mathematician, calculates pi (π) as ≈ 62832/20000 = 3.1416, correct to four rounded-off decimal places.
- The Ambrosian Iliad, an Illuminated manuscript, on vellum of the Iliad of Homer is produced in Constantinople (approximate date).
- Abdul Mutallib, grandfather of Islamic prophet Mohammed (d. 578)
- Cadoc, abbot and saint (approximate date)
- Chlothar I, king of the Franks (d. 561)
- Hashim ibn 'Abd Manaf, great-grandfather of Mohammed
- Longinus of Cardala, Isaurian official and rebel leader
- Yuan Xun, crown prince of Northern Wei (b. 483)