|Centuries:||4th century – 5th century – 6th century|
|Decades:||460s 470s 480s – 490s – 500s 510s 520s|
|Years:||496 497 498 – 499 – 500 501 502|
|499 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1252|
|Chinese calendar||戊寅年 (Earth Tiger)
3195 or 3135
— to —
己卯年 (Earth Rabbit)
3196 or 3136
|- Vikram Samvat||555–556|
|- Shaka Samvat||421–422|
|- Kali Yuga||3600–3601|
|Iranian calendar||123 BP – 122 BP|
|Islamic calendar||127 BH – 126 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1413 before ROC
|Seleucid era||810/811 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1041–1042|
Year 499 (CDXCIX) was a common year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Iohannes without colleague (or, less frequently, year 1252 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 499 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- April 26 – Emperor Xiao Wen Di dies of starvation in his capital at Luoyang after a 27-year reign in which he has Sinicized his tribal relatives (Tuoba clan). He also created a Chinese-style government and instituted a land-reform program.
- Crown prince Xuan Wu Di, age 16, succeeds his father Xiao Wen Di and becomes emperor of Northern Wei. He appoints his uncle Yuan Xie to provincial governor, who serves temporarily as regent to form a new government.
- March 1 – During a synod in Rome, which is attended by 72 bishops and all of the Roman clergy, Pope Symmachus makes Antipope Laurentius bishop of the diocese of Nocera in Campania.
- Ingund, queen of the Franks (approximate date)
- Ly Thien Bao, emperor of Vietnam (d. 555)
- Maximianus, bishop of Ravenna (d. 556)