AIDAblu in Ajaccio
|Owner:||Costa Crociere S.p.A.|
|Port of registry:||Genoa, Italy|
|Ordered:||July 1, 2006|
|Builder:||Meyer Werft (Germany)|
|Yard number:||S. 680|
|Christened:||February 9, 2010 in Hamburg by Jette Joop|
|Maiden voyage:||February 9, 2010 to Palma, Majorca|
|Class and type:||Sphinx-class cruise ship|
|Length:||253.33 m (831.14 ft)|
|Beam:||32.2 m (105.64 ft)|
|Draught:||7.3 m (23.95 ft)|
|Installed power:||Diesel-electric (about 36,000kW)|
|Propulsion:||4 Caterpillar MaK engines|
AIDAblu is a Sphinx-class cruise ship, operated by the German cruise line, AIDA Cruises. AIDAblu is the seventh ship in the cruise line. The vessel was delivered by Meyer Werft to its owners last 4 February 2010. She is a sister ship to AIDAdiva, AIDAbella, AIDAluna with a half deck more, and is followed by similar AIDAsol and AIDAmar. She has a passenger capacity of 2,050.
The name of AIDAblu had been used for a former AIDA ship from 2004-2007. AIDA Cruises' parent company, Carnival Corporation & plc, then transferred the ship to another cruise line., Ocean Village, and was renamed Ocean Village Two. In 2009, Ocean Village Two was again transferred to another cruise line, P&O Cruises Australia, also a Carnival daughter company, and was renamed Pacific Jewel.
AIDAblu is presently the record holder for the fastest English Channel crossing between Le Havre and Southampton by cruise ship. AIDAblu left Le Havre, France at 20:00 5/9/2011 in poor weather with 70 mph winds and 10 foot seas and arrived in Southampton, England at 02:45 5/9/2011 (a crossing time of 6 hours, 45 minutes).
AIDAblu offers six restaurants (with a total area of 3,988 square metres (43,000 sq ft), ten bars, a 1,956 square metres (21,000 sq ft) wellness area, 8,120 square metres (87,000 sq ft) of outer deck area, and a 3,000 square metres (32,000 sq ft) theatrium. There are also special internal and external areas for children.
AIDAblu currently features one of the largest wellness centers on a cruise ship, at 2,600 m2. It also has the first brewery installed on a cruise ship, where the beer served in the ship are brewed.
AIDAblu has 1096 cabins, 374 are on the inside and 722 on the outside. The callsign is IBWX . IMO 9398888 . MMSI 247282500.
- "AIDAblu (112808)". DNV GL Vessel Register. Germanischer Lloyd. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- "Yard No. 680 Meyer W.". Vessel Assessment System. Retrieved 2009-07-08.[dead link]
- "AIDA Cruises orders new cruise ship". Meyer Werft. 6 December 2006. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 8 July 2009.
- "AIDAblu Christened Successfully". Cruise Industry News. 2010-02-10. Archived from the original on 17 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-31.
- "Delivery of AIDAblu". Meyerwerft website. 4 February 2010. Retrieved 21 February 2010.
- "New club ship generation with MaK engines from Caterpillar" (PDF). Caterpillar Marine Power Systems. 2005. p. 6. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-07-10. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- "Ships Monthly". Kelsey. November 2011: 8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AIDAblu.|
- Official AIDAblu website (German)
- "AIDAblu (112808)". DNV GL Vessel Register. Germanischer Lloyd. Retrieved 2010-03-24.
- Current Position
- Deck Plans
- "AIDAblu (9398888)". Equasis. French Ministry for Transport. Retrieved 2010-08-31. (registration required (. ))
- AIDAblu Cruise Ship, Germany Images
|This article about a specific cruise ship is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|