ARA Guerrico (P-32)
ARA Guerrico in 2005 at Mar del Plata naval base
|Laid down:||1 October 1976|
|Launched:||13 September 1977|
|Out of service:||17 November 1977|
|Fate:||Delivery blocked by UNSCR 418 during sea trials in France|
|Namesake:||Rear Admiral Martin Guerrico|
|In service:||9 November 1978|
|Homeport:||Mar del Plata|
|Status:||in active service|
|Class and type:||Type A69 Drummond-class corvette|
|Displacement:||1,170 tons (1,320 tons full load)|
|Length:||80 m (260 ft)|
|Beam:||10.3 m (34 ft)|
|Draught:||3.55 m (11.6 ft)|
|Installed power:||12,000 shp (8.9 MW)|
|Propulsion:||2 × SEMT Pielstick 12 PC 2.2 V400 diesels, 2 × CP propellers|
|Speed:||23.3 knots (43 km/h)|
|Range:||4,500 nautical miles (8,330 km) at 16 knots (30 km/h)|
|Complement:||5 officers, 79 enlisted, 95 berths|
|Aviation facilities:||small pad for VERTREP|
She is currently based at Mar del Plata and conducts fishery patrol duties in the Argentine exclusive economic zone where she has captured several trawlers in recent years. According to reports in November 2012 the Drummond class "hardly sail because of lack of resources for operational expenses".
Guerrico was built in 1977 in France for the South African Navy to be named SAS Transvaal but was embargoed at the last minute by United Nations Security Council Resolution 418. She was sold to Argentina instead and delivered on 9 November 1978. She was rushed into service and deployed a month later for the Operation Soberanía against Chile.
In 1982 she served in the Falklands War most notably in the Invasion of South Georgia where she was damaged by Royal Marines weapon fire which led to her spending three days in dry dock for repairs before rejoining the fleet as part of Task Group 79.4, alongside her sister ships operating to the north of the islands. She carried the P-2 pennant number until the introduction of the Espora-class corvettes in 1985 when she became P-32.
She has also served as support ship of the Buenos Aires-Rio de Janeiro tall ships races.
Portions based on a translation from Spanish Wikipedia.
- "Victor Moukambi dissertation.doc" (PDF). University of Stellenbosch. 2008-10-13. Retrieved 2009-02-27.
- Wertheim, Eric (2007). The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World: Their Ships, Aircraft, and Systems (15 ed.). Naval Institute Press. p. 9. ISBN 9781591149552.
- "Depredación del Mar Argentino". Lanacion.com.ar. 2005-02-15. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "La depredación del Mar Argentino". Lanacion.com.ar. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "Argentine navy short on spares and resources for training and maintenance". MercoPress. 22 November 2012.
- John Pike. "www.globalsecurity.org". www.globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- The Royal Navy and the Falklands War, David Brown, Leo Cooper (publisher), 1987, ISBN 978-0-85052-059-0, p.120
- "con el propósito de asegurar el cumplimiento del embargo comercial, dispuesto por el Consejo de Seguridad, por medio de las corbetas ARA Grandville, ARA Guerrico y ARA Drummond". .tau.ac.il. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- Guia de los buques de la Armada Argentina 2005–2006. Ignacio Amendolara Bourdette, ISBN 987-43-9400-5, Editor n/a. (Spanish/English text)