A Bad Goodbye
|"A Bad Goodbye"|
|Single by Clint Black with Wynonna|
|from the album No Time to Kill|
|B-side||"The Hard Way"|
|Released||May 3, 1993|
|Producer(s)||Clint Black and James Stroud|
"A Bad Goodbye" is a song written by American country music artist Clint Black, and recorded by him as a duet with fellow country music artist Wynonna. The song was recorded after the two toured together during their "Black and Wy" tour in 1993. It was released in May 1993 as the first single from Black's album No Time to Kill. It peaked at number 2 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) chart. In addition, it was Black's first appearance on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at number 43 there.
In his review of Black's album, Time magazine reviewer Christopher John Farley noted that Judd's voice "draws out an emotional edge" in Black's voice. Overall, he thought that the collaboration added an edge to No Time to Kill that Black's first three albums lacked. Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, calling the lyrics "direct, moving and majestic." She goes on to say that the song has "'single of the year' written all over it."
The song followed a "Black & Wy" tour, which featured Black and Judd touring together.
The music video was directed by Peter Nydrle and premiered in May 1993.
"A Bad Goodbye" debuted at number 55 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of May 15, 1993.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||43|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||14|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||19|
by Alan Jackson
|RPM Country Tracks
August 14, 1993
"We'll Burn That Bridge"
by Brooks & Dunn
- Edwards, Joe (1993-08-13). "Country music star Vince Gill is nominated for eight awards". Philadelphia Enquirer. Retrieved 2008-09-06.
- Farley, Christopher John (1993-08-23). "A Bluer Shade of Black". Time. Retrieved 2008-09-06.
- Billboard, May 8, 1993
- Buttars, Lon (1993-09-25). ""Black & Wy" give 2 great shows in 1". Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 2008-09-06.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 2205." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. August 14, 1993. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Clint Black – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Clint Black.
- "Clint Black – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Clint Black.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1993". RPM. December 18, 1993. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Best of 1993: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1993. Retrieved August 5, 2013.