Abdus Shakoor (painter)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Shakoor in 2009
31 December 1947 |
Bogra district, East Bengal, Pakistan (now Bangladesh)
Abdus Shakoor (born 31 December 1947) is a Bangladeshi painter and calligrapher.
Early life and career
Shakoor was born on 31 December 1947 in the Bogra district of Bangladesh. His work focuses on ancestral and historical themes, following in the folk-tradition of Zainul Abedin, Quamrul Hassan, Jamini Roy and Qayyum Chowdhury. Common themes in Shakoor's paintings include Bengali folk motifs and ballads; the Mahua and Malua love stories[further explanation needed] as well as the Nakshi Kanthar Math and the Maimansingha Gitika. He has illustrated his works with folk-motifs. Peacock and parrots as well as elephants, bulls, cats, tigers, serpents and lizards feature prominently in his works.
All of Shakoor's compositions are bordered with free-flowing thick brush lines. There is almost no hard line in the paintings. His style has been compared with European artists such as Piet Mondrian and Paul Klee.
- 45 Painting(s) by or after Abdus Shakoor at the Art UK site
- "Abdus Shakoor Shah". Dhaka Art Center.
- Haq, Fayza (December 21, 2003). "Light and shade: Of ballads and blues of Bangladesh, Abdus Shakoor's exhibition at Bradford". The Daily Star.
- "Our Talents". The Daily Star. January 7, 2005.
- "Shakoor's 2008 exhibitions in India". Dhaka Courier. January 9, 2009 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- Garcia, Cathy Rose A. (May 4, 2009). "Exhibition Introduces Bangladeshi Art". The Korea Times.
- Hossain, Takir (October 28, 2009). "Folk identity on Shakoor’s canvas". The Daily Star.
- "'Rural faces, universal tales'". Dhaka Courier. May 6, 2010 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- Hossain, Takir (December 29, 2011). "Bengali Identity". The Daily Star.
- "Shakoor Reveals 'Bucolic-Bengal'". Dhaka Courier. August 18, 2013 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- Hossain, Takir (October 9, 2015). "Abdus Shakoor's solo exhibition begins today at Bengal Gallery". The Daily Observer. Dhaka.
- "Muse of Myths". Prothom Alo. October 10, 2015.
- "Shakoor depicts rural heritage on paintings". New Age. Dhaka. October 13, 2015.
|This article about a Bangladeshi painter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|