Saleh Uddin (right) with Humayun Ahmed (left)
|Native name||সালেহ উদদিন|
|Born||Mohammad Saleh Uddin Badal
6 November 1954
Comilla, East Pakistan (now Bangladesh)
|Alma mater||BUET (BArch)
Kent State University (MArch)
|Family||Munshibari family of Comilla|
His books, published by McGraw-Hill and John Wiley & Sons are widely used as graphical communication and design textbooks internationally. Some have been translated from English into Spanish and into Chinese. He is also the main architect of the Gulshan Club scheduled to be built in Gulshan, Dhaka in 2011, having won the international open design competition for it.
Early life and education
Born in Comilla, he was the third child, the oldest of two sons to parents Shamsuddin Ahmed Munshi and Fatema Khatun. After matriculation from the Notre Dame College, he attended Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology for a bachelor's degree in architecture. He graduated summa cum laude (first position among other graduates) in 1981. Then he joined as a lecturer at his alma mater, eventually leaving it to pursue graduate studies at Kent State University in Ohio, United States.
He graduated with a master's degree in urban design. Finally he went to University of Sheffield for a Doctorate degree in computer representation from the School of Architecture. His PhD thesis was on Louis Kahn's design of the Bangladesh National Parliament Building.
From 1988 to 1992, he was a professor of architecture at Savannah College of Art and Design. He was the former associate dean at Southern University from 1997 to 1999. Uddin was the graduate coordinator for the Department of Architectural Studies at the University of Missouri from 2000 to 2006. Later he founded the Department of Architecture at American International University – Bangladesh. Uddin has also been involved in green building initiatives.
In July 2002, Uddin built his 4,000 sq ft home as the general contractor and designer and finished eight months later. The resulting structure was called "one of Columbia's most unique creations" by Columbia Home magazine.
He has served as the editor of the National Journal of the Design Communication Association.
- Honorable mention, American Institute of Architects (AIA) Missouri Design Awards 2005
- Innovator Award for Advancing Teaching with Technology Award 2004 University of Missouri
- Jurors' Award of Excellence, American Society of Architectural Perspectivists, 1996
- Teacher of the Year Award for Architecture (1994–1995) Southern University
- Tau Sigma Delta Honors for academic excellence Kent State University
- Composite Drawing: Techniques for Architectural Design Presentation. McGraw-Hill. 1996. ISBN 0-07-065749-1.
- Axonometric and Oblique Drawing: A 3-D Construction, Rendering, and Design Guide. McGraw-Hill. 1997. ISBN 0-07-065755-6.
- Hybrid Drawing Techniques by Contemporary Architects and Designers. John Wiley & Sons. 1999. ISBN 0-471-29274-5.
- Digital Architecture: Turn Vision into Virtual Reality with 3D Graphics. McGraw-Hill. 1999. ISBN 0-07-065814-5.
- "Past Shows". Connexion Gallery Design Studio. Atlanta, Georgia. 2008. Archived from the original on 24 March 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
M. Saleh Uddin is a professor of Architecture ... He has published several books on Design ... He will be showing his paintings.
- "Top 3 designs for Gulshan Club selected". The Daily Sun. Dhaka, Bangladesh: East West Media Group Ltd. 17 January 2011. Archived from the original on 16 March 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
The design of M Saleh Uddin and Team secured the first place
- "Education". M. Saleh Uddin.
- "Teaching". M. Saleh Uddin.
- Rahman, Shafiq (12 May 2005). "Louis Kahn's multi-faceted Sangsad Bhaban". Probe News Magazine. Archived from the original on 2 October 2011.
He did his PhD on the Bangladesh Sangsad Bhaban or parliament building
- "BGBC Experts Discuss Sustainability at AIUB". Star Campus. The Daily Star. 17 July 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
This forum included prominent national architects such as BGBC Events and Education Committee Co-Chair, Dr Saleh Uddin, the Head of the Department of Architecture at AIUB
- Robin May & L.G. Patterson (November 2003). "Home Tour: Contemporary Living with Architectural Distinction". Columbia Home. Columbia, MO: Parry Publishing, Inc.: 28–34.
- "2010 DCA Website Contact". Design Communication Association.
- "Angan Event 24". BRAC University. December 2004.
by eminent architect Professor M Saleh Uddin
- "Awards". M. Saleh Uddin.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saleh Uddin.|