|Municipality of Akbar|
Map of Basilan with Akbar highlighted
|Region||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
|Founded||December 20, 2005|
|Barangays||9 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Alih A. Sali|
|• Electorate||5,349 voters (2016)|
|• Total||38.76 km2 (14.97 sq mi)|
|• Density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)62|
|Climate type||Tropical climate|
|Income class||5th municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||478,123,470.16 (2016)|
Akbar, officially the Municipality of Akbar, (Tausūg: Lupah Akbar; Chavacano: Municipalidad de Akbar; Tagalog: Bayan ng Akbar), is a 5th class municipality in the province of Basilan, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 17,531 people.
Akbar was created through Muslim Mindanao Autonomy Act No. 193 dated December 20, 2005.
The place is named after Imam Akbar Marani, a known Islamic preacher/propagator and descendant of Kuddarat, who landed in Taguime (now part of the municipality of Moh’d Ajul) in 17th century and later migrated to central Mindanao. In his older age, Imam Akbar transferred from Sinangkapan, Akbar, to Lantawan based in Kanibungan and he was buried there.
|Population census of Akbar|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, Akbar had a population of 17,531. The population density was 450 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,200/sq mi).
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Basilan". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "ARMM – Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Muslim Mindanao Autonomy Act No. 193; An Act Creating the Municipality of Akbar in the Province of Basilan and for Other Purposes" (PDF). Regional Legislative Assembly, Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 February 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "The Comprehensive Development Plan - Municipality of Akbar". basilan.net. Provincial Government of Basilan. Archived from the original on 15 March 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "Municipal: Akbar, Basilan". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "ARMM – Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "ARMM – Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Basilan". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
|This article about a location in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|