Location within Basilan province
|Region||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
|District||Lone district of Basilan|
|Founded||December 20, 2005|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Alih A. Sali|
|• Total||38.76 km2 (14.97 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)62|
|Electorate||5,349 voters as of 2016|
Akbar, officially the Municipality of Akbar (Chavacano: Municipalidad de Akbar; Cebuano: Lungsod sa Akbar; Filipino: Bayan ng Akbar), is a municipality in the province of Basilan in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) of the Philippines. The population was 17,531 at the 2015 census. In the 2016 electoral roll, it had 5,349 registered voters.
Akbar was created through Muslim Mindanao Autonomy Act No. 193 dated December 20, 2005.
The place is named after Imam Akbar Marani, a known Islamic preacher/propagator and descendant of Kuddarat, who landed in Taguime (now part of the municipality of Moh’d Ajul) in 17th century and later migrated to central Mindanao. In his older age, Imam Akbar transferred from Sinangkapan, Akbar, to Lantawan based in Kanibungan and he was buried there.
|Population census of Akbar|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, Akbar had a population of 17,531. The population density was 450 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,200/sq mi).
In the 2016 electoral roll, it had 5,349 registered voters.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "The Comprehensive Development Plan - Municipality of Akbar". basilan.net. Provincial Government of Basilan. Archived from the original on 15 March 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- Census of Population (2015). "ARMM - Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "2016 National and Local Elections Statistics". Commission on Elections. 2016.
- "Muslim Mindanao Autonomy Act No. 193; An Act Creating the Municipality of Akbar in the Province of Basilan and for Other Purposes" (PDF). Regional Legislative Assembly, Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 February 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- "Municipal: Akbar, Basilan". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "ARMM - Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "ARMM - Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 11 November 2011.
- "Province of Basilan". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
|This article about a location in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|