|Born||12 August 1977|
Al Ewing began his career writing stories in the five-page Future Shocks format for 2000 AD and eventually moved on to regular stints on Judge Dredd where he wrote a story, "Doctor What?" that marked Brendan McCarthy's return to 2000 AD and the two would go on to work together on a new series The Zaucer of Zilk. Recent work includes Damnation Station and Zombo, illustrated by Henry Flint, which was collected in trade paperback in 2010.
In May 2007, Ewing created the comedic blog The Diary of Ralph Dibney, in which he writes as the superhero Elongated Man, his therapist, or Richard Dragon, reacting to the events of each week's issue of the comic book 52.
Breaking into American comic books, Ewing was also picked by Garth Ennis to provide a six-issue arc on Jennifer Blood, a comic published by Dynamite Entertainment, and a spin-off series The Ninjettes.
Ewing's debut novel was published in 2007 by Abaddon Books. Pax Britannia: El Sombra features a mysterious Mexican hero fighting back against the menace of steam-powered Nazis. It is set in the same Steampunk alternate history as the other novels from the Pax Britannia series. Three other novels have been published since, with a fifth on the way.
- Writing Dredd, 2000AD Review, 27 April 2009
- Keily, Karl (6 December 2011). "Al Ewing Steers Brendan McCarthy's "Zaucer of Zilk"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Director's Commentary : Zaucer of Zilk". Forbidden Planet Blog Log. 22 March 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- Hickey, Andrew (3 March 2011). Sci-Ence! Justice Leak!. Lulu. p 52. Archived at Google Books. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- Zawisza, Doug (20 March 2011). "C2E2: Dynamite Entertainment Panel". Comic Book Resources.
- Sunu, Steve (30 June 2011). "Ewing Cuts Deeper with "Jennifer Blood"". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on 3 July 2011. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Sunu, Steve (20 December 2011). "Ennis & Ewing Spill "Jennifer Blood" & "The Ninjettes"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- El Sombra at Abaddon Books
- Phegley, Kiel (7 June 2013). "Marvel Adds "Mighty" New "Avengers" Series". Comic Book Resources.
- McElhatton, Greg (21 July 2014). "Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor #1". Comic Book Resources.
- Al Ewing at the Comic Book DB
- A collection of archived small-press work
- Ewing goes to the Movies
- Al Ewing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (Note, only covers written speculative fiction, not comics)
- The Fictional Man review
- Interview on 2000ADReview website (NB: Ewing is talking in an assumed persona)
- The Man from Death Planet: Matt Badham talks with Al Ewing, Forbidden Planet, 13 May 2009
- Interview with comics writer Al Ewing, SFX, 7 July 2009