Alan Dimmick photographed by Ross Sinclair in 2018.
June 2, 1961
|Education||College of Building and Printing|
Life and work
Dimmick was born in Glasgow, and was named after astronaut Alan Shepard. He attended Hyndland Secondary School between 1973 to 1979 and the College of Building and Printing, now part of City of Glasgow College, between 1979 and 1982.
After a short period spent working at the Mitchell Library, Dimmick moved into a flat with rock band Del Amitri, which is where his work of documenting the art and music scene began. He was also encouraged by Scottish photographer Oscar Marzaroli.
Some of Dimmick's early works were purchased by the People's Palace in Glasgow and the Scottish Arts Council in the 1980s, and he exhibited in group shows at the Collins Gallery in Glasgow, the Pier Arts Centre in Stromness, and the Inverness Museum and Art Gallery.
In 2017, a forty-year retrospective was held at the Stills Gallery in Edinburgh. The exhibition was followed by the publication of Alan Dimmick Photographs 1977-2017, with a launch event hosted by Timorous Beasties. In the same year, he was Artist in Residence at Stirling University.
- 2007 Street Level Photoworks, Glasgow
- 2012 Gallery of Modern Art, Glasgow
- 2017 Stills Gallery, Edinburgh.
The Pastels, 1982
Justin Currie, 1984
Laura, Isle of Cumbrae, 1984
Alasdair Gray, 1985
Robert Wringham, 2015
Notes and references
- Jeffrey, Moira (22 January 2012). "Framing Glasgow's art scene is a snap for Alan Dimmick". The Scotsman. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- "Photographer Alan Dimmick - interview". The List. 14 March 2012.
- "Alan Dimmick on Instagram: "This is Alan Shepard...in May 1961 he became the 2nd man in space...just over 3 weeks later l arrived and my parents named me after…"". Instagram.
- "Alan Dimmick — Biography". alandimmick.com.
- "Lomography - Alan Dimmick: Documenting Life in Glasgow". www.lomography.com.
- "Alan Dimmick Photographs 1977-2017 | Stills Gallery". www.stills.org. 25 June 2018.
- "Alan Dimmick: Photographs from the last 15 years of contemporary art in Scotland". artdaily.com.
- "Visual art review: Alan Dimmick: Photography From The Last 15 Years of Contemporary Art in Scotland, GoMA, Glasgow". www.scotsman.com.
- "Alan Dimmick: Photographs from the last 15 Years of Contemporary Art in Scotland | The List". www.list.co.uk.
- "Alan Dimmick: Photographs from the last 15 Years of contemporary art in Scotland – Gallery Of Modern Art (GoMA) Glasgow".
- "Works from a private photography collection & Alan Dimmick's studio archive, 1977-2017 | Stills Gallery". www.stills.org. 15 December 2016.
- "The Collection Series: Works from a private photography collection & Alan Dimmick's studio archive, 1977-2017". 31 March 2017.
- "Purchase Alan Dimmick : Photographs 1977 - 2017". alandimmick.com.
- "Alan Dimmick // New photographs – Gallery Of Modern Art (GoMA) Glasgow".
- "Artists in Residence | About". University of Stirling.