1865 (aged 57–58)|
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh|
|Employer||Northern Lighthouse Board|
Robert Alan Mowbray Stevenson|
Jean Margaret Alan Stevenson
Dorothea Francis Alan Stevenson
Katharine Elizabeth Alan Stevenson
Robert Stevenson (father)|
Jean Smith (mother)
David Stevenson (brother)|
Thomas Stevenson (brother)
Alan Stevenson FRSE LLD MInstCE (1807, Edinburgh – 1865, Portobello, Edinburgh) was a Scottish lighthouse engineer who was Engineer to the Board of Northern Lighthouses. Among his notable works is the Skerryvore Lighthouse.
A member of the famous Stevenson family of engineers, eldest son of Robert Stevenson, and brother of David and Thomas Stevenson, between 1843 and 1853 he built thirteen lighthouses in and around Scotland. The writer Robert Louis Stevenson was the son of Thomas and thus the nephew of Alan Stevenson.
He was born in Edinburgh on 28 April 1807 the son of Robert Stevenson and his wife, Jean Smith (his step-sister!). He was educated at the High School in Edinburgh then studied at Edinburgh University graduating MA in 1826.
He is buried in the Stevenson family vault in New Calton Cemetery with his wife, Margaret Scott Jones. The vault lies midway along the eastern wall.
- Biographical Sketches of the Late Robert Stevenson (1861)
Lighthouses by Alan Stevenson
- Little Ross (1843)
- Isle of May Low Light (1843)
- Skerryvore (1844)
- Covesea Skerries (1846)
- Chanonry Point (1846)
- Cromarty (1846)
- Cairn Point, Loch Ryan (1847)
- Noss Head (1849)
- Ardnamurchan (1849)
- Sanda (1850)
- Hestan Island (1850)
- Hoy High and Hoy Low, Graemsay (1851)
- Arnish Point (1853)
- Eilean Musdile (Lismore)
- Biographical Sketch of the Late Robert Stevenson: Civil Engineer, read at the Royal Society of Edinburgh, at the meeting of 17 February 1851. From Google Book Search
- A Rudimentary Treatise on the History, Construction and Illumination of Lighthouses, 1850, from Google Book Search
Alan's position in the Stevenson family tree.
|Robert Stevenson engineering family tree|
- Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Former Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 1783-2002: Biographical Index (PDF). II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 October 2006. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- Biographical Index of Former Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 1783–2002 (PDF). The Royal Society of Edinburgh. July 2006. ISBN 0 902 198 84 X.
- Portobello Post Office Directory 1865
- NLS 1893 map of Portobello
- Inscription on grave of Alan Stevenson, New Calton Cemetery
|This article about a Scottish engineer, inventor or industrial designer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|