2010 Alaska gubernatorial election
|Elections in Alaska|
The 2010 Alaska gubernatorial election took place on November 2, 2010. Former Governor Sarah Palin did not run, having resigned in July 2009. Incumbent Governor Sean Parnell, who as lieutenant governor succeeded Palin following her resignation, announced that he would seek a full term.
Following the primary election on Tuesday, August 24, 2010, the Democratic ticket consists of Ethan Berkowitz and Diane E. Benson running against Republican Parnell and his running mate, Mead Treadwell.
In the general election Parnell/Treadwell defeated Berkowitz/Benson by a wide margin. Parnell received over 59% of the vote, which is the highest percentage for any Alaska gubernatorial candidate in history.
- 1 Republican primary
- 2 Alaskan Independence-Democratic-Libertarian combined primary
- 3 General election
- 4 Lieutenant Governor's race
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Certified for the ballot
- Gerald L. Heikes, perennial candidate
- Merica Hlatcu
- Sam Little, truck driver and country musician
- Sean Parnell, incumbent Governor
- Ralph Samuels, former Majority Leader of the Alaska House of Representatives
- Bill Walker, attorney and former Mayor of Valdez
- John Harris, former Speaker of the Alaska House of Representatives, announced in January 2010 that he would be seeking re-election to his House seat instead
|Poll source||Dates administered||Sean Parnell||Ralph Samuels||Bill Walker||Undecided|
|Hellenthal & Associates||July 22–25, 2010||60%||13%||15%||12%|
|Basswood Research||February 27–28, 2010||69%||9%||4%||21%|
|Republican||Sean Parnell (incumbent)||54,125||49.49|
|Republican||Gerald L. Heikes||460||0.40|
Alaskan Independence-Democratic-Libertarian combined primary
Alaskan Independence Party
- Don Wright, bush pilot
- Ethan Berkowitz, former Minority Leader of the Alaska House of Representatives
- Hollis S. French, State Senator
- Bob Poe
- William Toien
|Alaskan Independence||Don Wright||4,104||8.84|
- Ethan Berkowitz (D)
- Sean Parnell (R)
- Parnell's running mate is businessman Mead Treadwell.
- William Toien (L)
- Toien's running mate is Jeffrey Brown.
- Don Wright (AIP)
- Wright's running mate is Michigan Militia founder Norm Olson.
|Cook Political Report||Solid R||October 29, 2010|
|Rothenberg||Safe R||October 28, 2010|
|Swing State Project||Safe R|
|RealClearPolitics||Solid R||October 29, 2010|
|Sabato's Crystal Ball||Safe R||October 28, 2010|
|CQ Politics||Solid R||October 29, 2010|
|Poll source||Dates administered||Sean Parnell (R)||Ethan Berkowitz (D)|
|CNN/Time Magazine||October 15–19, 2010||62%||36%|
|Rasmussen Reports||October 13, 2010||52%||39%|
|CNN/Time Magazine||September 24–28, 2010||57%||38%|
|Rasmussen Reports||September 19, 2010||54%||34%|
|Rasmussen Reports||August 31, 2010||53%||43%|
|Public Policy Polling||August 27–28, 2010||55%||37%|
|Basswood Research||August 28–29, 2010||54%||40%|
|Rasmussen Reports||July 15, 2010||53%||34%|
|Rasmussen Reports||May 6, 2010||58%||30%|
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs to be updated.October 2010)(
Campaign activity disclosure reports are filed with the Alaska Public Offices Commission. For the period ending February 1, 2010, the candidates and others subject to filing have reported the following to APOC:
|Candidate||Cash on hand||Candidate's
|Total income||Total expenses||Total debts||Surplus/|
|Republican||Sean Parnell / Mead Treadwell||151,318||59.06||+10.7|
|Democratic||Ethan Berkowitz / Diane E. Benson||96,519||37.67||-3.3|
|Alaskan Independence||Don Wright||4,775||1.86||+1.3|
|Libertarian||Billy Toien / Jeffrey Brown||2,682||1.05||+0.7|
Lieutenant Governor's race
In Alaska, the lieutenant governor runs separately from the governor in the primary election. The respective party nominees for each office are then joined together as a party ticket in the general election. On occasion, a minor party will nominate a candidate for governor, but without a running mate.
- Diane E. Benson (Democrat) (won primary)
- Eddie Burke (Republican), Anchorage businessman and radio talk show host
- Craig Campbell (Republican), incumbent (withdrew April 2010)
- Lynette Moreno-Hinz, Anchorage taxicab driver who was involved with a taxi deregulation ballot issue in 2008
- Jay Ramras (Republican), Fairbanks businessman and member of the Alaska House
- Mead Treadwell (Republican) (won primary)
- Jonathan Martin. "Palin announces resignation". Politico.
- "Is Palin retiring, or running for president in 2012? - CTV News". Ctv.ca. 2009-07-04. Retrieved 2010-08-21.
- "Treadwell, Benson win lieutenant governor races". Archived from the original on 2010-08-28. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- Election Night 2010: Incumbents Parnell and Young Re-Elected, Possibly Murkowski APRN 3-10-2010
- "Unofficial Candidate List 2010 Primary Election". Archived from the original on 11 June 2010. Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- : jjAK49 @ 01.23.2010 2:14 AM (23 January 2010). "Harris pulls out of governor's race". Alaskadispatch.com. Archived from the original on 14 September 2010. Retrieved 21 August 2010.
- "Alaska Primary Results, 2010".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-09-08. Retrieved 2010-09-05.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "2010 Governors Race Ratings". Cook Political Report. Archived from the original on 26 October 2010. Retrieved October 29, 2010.
- "Governor Ratings". Rothenberg Political Report. Archived from the original on 28 September 2010. Retrieved October 29, 2010.
- "2010 Governor Races". RealClearPolitics. Archived from the original on 27 October 2010. Retrieved October 29, 2010.
- "2010 Governor Ratings". Sabato's Crystal Ball. Archived from the original on 3 October 2010. Retrieved October 29, 2010.
- "Race Ratings Chart: Governor". CQ Politics. Archived from the original on 5 October 2010. Retrieved October 29, 2010.
- Alaska Division of Elections
- Alaska Governor Candidates at Project Vote Smart
- Alaska Governor 2010 from OurCampaigns.com
- Campaign contributions for 2010 Alaska Governor from Follow the Money
- 2010 Alaska Gubernatorial General Election graph of multiple polls from Pollster.com
- Election 2010: Alaska Governor from Rasmussen Reports
- 2010 Alaska Governor Race from RealClearPolitics
- Alaska Governor's Race from CQ Politics
- Race Profile in The New York Times
- Official campaign sites (archived)