Official Parliamentary portrait, June 2017
|Member of Parliament|
for Leeds North West
|Assumed office |
9 June 2017
|Preceded by||Greg Mulholland|
|Leeds City Councillor|
for Moortown Ward
2012 – 2018
|Preceded by||Mark Harris|
|Succeeded by||Mohammed Shahzad|
Alexander David Sobel
26 April 1975
|Political party||Labour Co-op|
|Alma mater||University of Leeds|
Alexander David Sobel (born 26 April 1975) is a British Labour Co-op politician who has been Member of Parliament for Leeds North West in West Yorkshire, England since 2017. He was elected at the 2017 general election, succeeding Liberal Democrat Greg Mulholland, who had held the seat since 2005.
Sobel's parents emigrated from Israel in 1971. Sobel was born in Leeds, and educated at the University of Leeds, studying Information Systems. Until his election as an MP, Sobel worked with social enterprises and ran the regional body Social Enterprise Yorkshire and the Humber.
He was a Labour councillor for the Moortown ward of Leeds City Council from 2012, elected in 2012 winning again in 2016. He led the council's work on air pollution and climate change. His priorities as MP include protecting membership of the EU single market, and nationalising energy, water and the Royal Mail. He opposes the Trident nuclear programme. He is also a founding member of the group Open Labour.
A member of the Jewish Labour Movement, Sobel called in May 2016 for the Jewish community to work with Naz Shah "so she better understands Jewish Life in the UK, Israel and the rest of the diaspora". Sobel is also an Executive Committee Member for SERA, Labour's Environment Campaign.
Sobel is the father of two children.
- "No. 61961". The London Gazette. 19 June 2017. p. 11779.
- "Alex Sobel MP". myparliament.info. MyParliament. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Alex Sobel MP". UK Parliament. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- "Leeds North West". Election 2017. BBC News. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- Cohen, Justin (16 July 2017). "New Jewish MP 'proud' to represent city his immigrant parents made home". Jewish News. Retrieved 18 July 2017.
- "About Alex". Alex Sobel. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- Sobel, Alexander David. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2018 (February 2018 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Councillor Alex Sobel". Your Councillors. Leeds City Council. Retrieved 9 June 2017. Includes photo
- "Real time #ElectionLeaflet monitoring". ElectionLeaflets.org. ElectionLeaflets.org. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Exclusive: 75% of Labour PPCs oppose Trident renewal". New Statesman. 3 March 2015. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "We're Gold Plating Labour's Policy – Emma Burnell interviews Alex Sobel". Open Labour. 16 June 2018. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "Celebration for winners in the north, but chaos for voters in north London". The Jewish Chronicle. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Suspended MP Naz Shah tells synagogue: 'I was ignorant about Judaism'". Jewish News. 30 May 2016. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "SERA's 2016/17 Executive Committee". SERA - Labour's Environment Campaign. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- "The Westminster All Party Parliamentary Group on Rare, Genetic and Undiagnosed Conditions". Genetic Alliance UK. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alex Sobel.|
- Official website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Leeds North West