All Night Long (All Night)
|"All Night Long (All Night)"|
|Single by Lionel Richie|
|from the album Can't Slow Down|
|Released||31 August 1983 |
|Genre||Pop, worldbeat, funk|
|Length||4:16 (Single edit)
6:25 (Album version)
James Anthony Carmichael
|Lionel Richie singles chronology|
"All Night Long (All Night)" is a hit single for American singer-songwriter Lionel Richie from 1983. Taken from his second solo album, Can't Slow Down, it combined Richie's soulful Commodores style with Caribbean influences. This new, more dance music and pop inspired approach proved popular, as the single reached number one on three Billboard charts (pop, R&B and adult contemporary).
The song lyrics were written primarily in English, but Richie has admitted in at least one press interview that "African" lyrics are in the song, such as "Oh jambali Tom bo li d, say de moi ya," and "Jambo jumbo," were in fact made-up gibberish of his own invention. Richie has described these portions of the song as a "wonderful joke," written when he discovered that he lacked the time to hire a translator to contribute the foreign language lyrics he wished to include in the song.
The song has achieved massive popularity in the Arab World, in which Richie is well known as much as if not more than in his native U.S. The Independent has referred to Richie as "a phenomenon" over the past decade or so in nations such as Iraq, with "Hello" also achieving much success.
Richie performed the song at the closing ceremonies of the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California. He performed the song at the Nobel Peace Prize Concert in 2006 in Oslo, Norway as the concert's finale.
In popular culture
- During the mid- to late-1980s, General Motors used the song in commercials for two of its divisions: Oldsmobile, and later Cadillac.
- U.S. military personnel told Richie that "All Night Long (All Night)" was playing in the nighttime streets of Baghdad during the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
- Bud Light is currently running a commercial campaign, showing a man going through numerous party-like situations. All throughout the commercial, up until the first chorus, he does the song in spoken verse.
- The song can be heard twice in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's eighth season episode "Charlie Kelly Rules the World".
- The online comedy duo, Rhett and Link, performed a karaoke version of All Night Long continuously for 11 hours in September 2012.
- The song was used in 1984 Turkish film, Ortadirek Şaban.
- It was used in an Episode of Everybody Hates Chris
- It was also used in the Disney Movie, "The Lion King"
- On April 2, 2015 the rapper Common used the song in his second performance on the Spike TV show Lip Sync Battle. Common also had a song called All Night Long from his 1997 album One Day It'll All Make Sense
- The original album version which clocks at 6:25.
- The version that was released as a single in 1983 was an edit version. For this commercial release it was decided that the album version was too long and therefore the song (just like the guitarsolo in "Running with the night" single version) was cut shorter. For instance the xylophone part was cut out. The single version clocks at 4:19.
- In 1983, at the same time as the 7"edit, the album version was released as a 12" version.
- On the 2003 release "Can't slow down - Deluxe version" a "real" 12" version was released which clocks at 6:42. This version actually has additional lyrics (a.o. "What more can I say, let the music play") at the end of the song. This version had not been released before.
- This version released on Richie's 2012 album Tuskegee as a duet with Jimmy Buffett.
|"All Night Long (All Night)"|
|Single by Lionel Richie featuring Guy Sebastian|
|Released||18 Mar 2011 |
|Certification||Lionel Richie singles|
|Lionel Richie featuring Guy Sebastian singles chronology|
Richie recorded a remix of the song with Australian singer-songwriter Guy Sebastian in 2011. All proceeds will go towards the Queensland Floods and New Zealand Earthquake Appeal. The re-recorded version was produced by RedOne and was released to iTunes Stores in Australia and New Zealand on 18 and 16 March respectively.
Original 1983 version
2011 version (featuring Guy Sebastian)
- List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 1983 (U.S.)
- List of number-one R&B singles of 1983 (U.S.)
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1983 (U.S.)
- RIAA Gold and Platinum Database
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 492.
- "Classic Motown: Lionel Richie". Retrieved 24 February 2008.
- "The Golden Age Of Music Video". Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- John Berman (19 May 2006). "Baghdad's Lionel Richie Obsession". Nightline. ABC News.
- Adams, Cameron (26 February 2011) Lionel Richie and Guy Sebastian have teamed up to record a charity single for earthquake relief. Daily Telegraph, (Sydney). Retrieved 27 February 2011
- "All Night Long (2011 Mix) feat. Guy Sebastian - Single". iTunes Store Australia. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "All Night Long (2011 Mix) feat. Guy Sebastian - Single". iTunes Store New Zealand. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Charts.org.nz – Lionel Richie feat. Guy Sebastian – All Night Long 2011". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 27 March 2011.
- "Australian-charts.com – Lionel Richie feat. Guy Sebastian – All Night Long 2011". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 27 March 2011.
- "Austriancharts.at – Lionel Richie – All Night Long (All Night)" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Musicline.de – Lionel Richie Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Lionel Richie – All Night Long (All Night)" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Charts.org.nz – Lionel Richie – All Night Long (All Night)". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Lionel Richie – All Night Long (All Night)". VG-lista. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Lionel Richie – All Night Long (All Night)". Singles Top 60. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Swisscharts.com – Lionel Richie – All Night Long (All Night)". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Chart Stats - Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)". UK Singles Chart. Chart Stats. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Lionel Richie – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Lionel Richie. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Lionel Richie – Chart history" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Lionel Richie. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Lionel Richie – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Lionel Richie. Retrieved 28 March 2011.