American National Insurance Company
|Traded as||NASDAQ: ANAT|
Russell 1000 Component
|Industry||Insurance Financial Services|
|Headquarters||One Moody Plaza|
Galveston, Texas, U.S.
|Ross Rankin Moody, Chairman of the Board|
James Pozzi, President & CEO
|Products||Insurance Annuities mutual funds Financial Products|
|Revenue||US$3.12 Billion (FY 2013)|
|US$268 Million (FY 2013)|
|Total assets||US$23.3 Billion (FY 2013)|
|Total equity||US$4.2 Billion (FY 2013)|
Number of employees
American National was founded in 1905 by Galveston businessman William Lewis Moody, Jr. Today the company offers a wide array of insurance products and services including life insurance, annuities, health insurance, property and casualty insurance, credit insurance, and pension plan services. Through its subsidiary, ANREM, the company founded and developed the large-scale housing development, South Shore Harbour, in League City, Texas.
Although a publicly traded company, the majority of the stock continues to be controlled by the Moody family through the Moody Foundation and Libby Shearn Moody Trust, which are administered by the trust department of the family owned Moody National Bank.
American National is subject to insurance regulation and examination by all 50 states as well as federal entities like the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Federal Trade Commission. In addition, its records are audited by KPMG as well as the major financial rating agencies. The ratings reflect the company's capitalization, operating performance and liquidity. American National was listed in Forbes Magazine in its "100 Most Trustworthy Financial Companies" list for 2009 & 2017.
- Farm Family Casualty Insurance Company
- United Farm Family Insurance Company
- Standard Life and Accident Insurance Company
- Garden State Life Insurance Company
- American National Life Insurance Company of Texas
- American National Life Insurance Company of New York
- Robert L. Moody (Chairman Emeritus)
- Ross R. Moody (Chairman of the Board)
- James E. Pozzi (President and Chief Executive Officer)
- William C. Ansell
- James P. Payne
- Arthur O. Dummer
- Frances A. Moody-Dahlberg
- E.J. "Jere" Pederson
- James D. Yarbrough
- Irwin M. Herz, Jr.
- R. Eugene Lucas
- E. Douglass McLeod
- Robert L. Moody, Jr.
- Russell S. Moody
- Free State of Galveston
- Galveston, Texas
- Moody Foundation
- Moody Gardens
- Moody National Bank
- National Western Life
- Newton, Nell. "American National Insurance Company". Hoover's. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- Bivins, Ralph (1991-05-19). "League City site in midst of boom/South Shore Harbour is hot". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- "NASDAQ Ownership Summary for ANAT". NASDAQ.
- "Moody Foundation 2005 Annual Report" (PDF). Moody Foundation. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-05-29.
- "ANICO General statement of beneficial ownership filing". Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "American National Variable Annuity Separate Account, Actuary Consent Filing". Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "NASDAQ Company News". NASDAQ.
- "American National Insurance Company's Ratings". Archived from the original on 2015-02-06.
- Affiliated Companies Archived 2008-04-24 at the Wayback Machine.