American Water Works
|Traded as||NYSE: AWK|
S&P 500 Component
Water and wastewater
|Founder||James S. Kuhn, W.S. Kuhn|
|Susan Story, CEO and President|
|Revenue||US$3.3 billion (2016)|
|US$1.0 billion (2016)|
|US$468 million (2016)|
|Total assets||US$18.4 billion (2016)|
|Total equity||US$5.2 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
|Divisions||California American Water|
Hawaii American Water
Illinois American Water
Indiana American Water
Iowa American Water
Kentucky American Water
New York American Water
Maryland American Water
Michigan American Water
Missouri American Water
New Jersey American Water
Pennsylvania American Water
Tennessee American Water
Virginia American Water
West Virginia American Water
American Water Contract Services Group
American Water Military Services Group
American Water Resources
|Website||American Water Corporate|
American Water is an American public utility company operating in the United States and Canada. It was founded in 1886 as the American Water Works & Guarantee Company. In 1914, American Water Works and Guarantee Company became American Water Works and Electric Company. In 1947 it was reorganized as American Water Works Company, Inc. The company was a subsidiary of the German-based RWE Group from 2001 to 2008, but the company was divested on April 23, 2008 in an initial public offering (IPO) on the NYSE.
Most of American Water's services are locally managed utility subsidiaries that are regulated by the U.S. state in which each operates. American Water also owns subsidiaries that manage municipal drinking water and wastewater systems under contract and others that supply businesses and residential communities with water management products and services. In 2003, American Water established the American Water Military Services Group, which serves as contracted water utility for several military bases in the United States. Military Services Group works with the United States Military to treat and supply water and to collect and treat wastewater for military installations all over the country. Most recently American Water Military Services Group provides services to 11 military bases.
American Water Works Company provides services such as water line protection, sewer line protection, an in-home plumbing emergency program, electric line protection, heating system protection, cooling system protection, power surge protection and water heater protection.
- "Investor Relations" (PDF). Ir.amwater.com. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "American Water Works". Fortune. Retrieved 2019-02-19.
- "125 years of history". American Water. 2011. Retrieved 2015-07-11.
- "About American Water". Archived from the original on 2008-08-03. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- AG, RWE. "RWE Group - Corporate Website". www.rwe.com.
- "American Water - American Water Prices Initial Public Offering". pr.amwater.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-07. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- "Home Protection Programs". Awrusa.com.
- "American Water > Home". Amwater.com.
- "American Water Works (AWK) Ownership Summary". Nasdaq.com.
- General sources
- News, Bloomberg (5 November 2005). "RWE Plans to Sell Two Water Utilities". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "Water Company Makes Case for IPO - State Journal - STATEJOURNAL.com". Web.archive.org. 26 May 2011. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "Military Services". Web.archive.org. 4 March 2016. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- Cross, Gilbert (1991). A dynasty of water: the story of American Water Works Company. Camden, N.J.: American Water Works Co. ISBN 0961904917.