|Amomum subulatum (black cardamom)|
Amomum is a genus of plants native to China, the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia, New Guinea, and Queensland. It includes several species of cardamom, especially black cardamom. Plants of this genus are remarkable for their pungency and aromatic properties.
Among ancient writers, the name amomum was ascribed to various odoriferous plants that cannot be positively identified today. The word derives from Latin amomum, which is the latinisation of the Greek ἄμωμον (amomon), a kind of an Indian spice plant. Edmund Roberts noted on his 1834 trip to China that amomum was used as a spice to "season sweet dishes" in culinary practice.
See list of Amomum species for a complete list.
The following have further information:
The following species are now placed in other genera:
- Amomum compactum is Alpinia nutans
- Amomum costatum is Hornstedtia costata (Roxb.) K.Schum.
- Amomum dallachyi is a synonym of Meistera dallachyi (F.Muell.) Skornick. & M.F.Newman
- Amomum epiphyticum R.M.Sm. is a synonym of Epiamomum epiphyticum (R.M.Sm.) A.D.Poulsen & Skornick.
- Amomum filiforme is Hedychium coronarium
- Amomum pulchellum is Cyphostigma (monotypic)
- Amomum tsao-ko is Lanxangia tsaoko
- Elettaria cardamomum (L.) Maton is: Amomum ensal, Amomum repens, Amomum repens & Amomum uncinatum
- Amomum mioga is Zingiber mioga
- Amomum melegueta is Aframomum melegueta
- Amomum zambesiacum is Aframomum zambesiacum
Now be placed in the reconstituted genus Wurfbainia:
- Amomum elegans
- Wurfbainia uliginosa is: Amomum uliginosum, Amomum robustum & Amomum ovoideum
- Amomum villosum
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- POWO: Elettariopsis Baker
- Flora of China v 24 p 347, 豆蔻属 dou kou shu, Amomum Roxburgh, Pl. Coromandel. 3: 75. 1820.
- Govaerts, R. (1995). World Checklist of Seed Plants 1(1, 2): 1-483, 1-529. MIM, Deurne.
- Lamxay, V. & Newman, M.F. (2012). A revision of Amomum (Zingiberaceae) in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Edinburgh Journal of Botany 69: 99-206.
- amomum, Charlton T. Lewis, Charles Short, A Latin Dictionary, on Perseus Digital Library
- ἄμωμον, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus Digital Library
- Roberts, Edmund (1837). Embassy to the Eastern Courts of Cochin-China, Siam, and Muscat. New York: Harper & Brothers. p. 138.
- Media related to Amomum at Wikimedia Commons