Andi Osho in 2013
|Birth name||Yewande Osho|
27 January 1973|
Plaistow, London, England, UK
Life and career
Having previously worked in television production, Osho turned to acting in 2003. By 2006, she had decided to go into stand-up comedy. Osho spent a number of years working as a receptionist by day, while perfecting her stand-up comedy routine in the evenings.
In 2006, Osho starred as Alma in Dael Orlandersmith's drama Yellowman at Liverpool's Everyman Theatre. Other theatre work includes a critically acclaimed performance in the title role of Medea (Barons Court Theatre, 2005), Amanda in Cigarettes, Coffee and Paranoia (King's Head Theatre, 2005) and Zimbabwean exile Faith in the devised piece Qabuka (Oval House Theatre, 2005).
Osho's television roles include Lin Colvin in Casualty, Adeola Brooker in Doctors, Dr Rogers in Footballers' Wives: Extra Time and Angela Parker in Sea of Souls. She has also appeared in Waking the Dead, EastEnders, Comedy Central's @midnight, Night and Day and Russell Brand and Friends for Channel 4.
Osho is also a playwright and one of the founding members of the London writers' group, Vowel Movement. She has contributed to News Review at London's Canal Cafe Theatre and in 2008, she co-devised a scratch performance of the stage play Up the Café de Paris for the Pulse Fringe Festival. In 2007, Osho wrote the comedy CSI: Nigeria, in production for BBC Three.
Osho has performed at various comedy clubs and festivals across Britain, including: Jongleurs, the Comedy Store, the Reading Festival, the Pleasance Dome, the Chuckle Club, the Leicester Festival (Summer Sundae), the Comedy Café, the Shoreditch Comedy Festival, Comedy Camp and the Hackney Empire.
Osho co-hosted Tonightly on Channel 4 and appeared in an E4 pilot, The Andi O Show. She has also appeared on Mock the Week, Ask Rhod Gilbert, and is a regular performer on Stand Up for the Week.
On 26 February 2011, Osho participated in Let's Dance for Comic Relief, performing a dance routine to Michael Jackson's "Bad". Despite positive comments from the judges, she did not progress to the final round after a public vote.
Osho is the only person to have won more than one episode of Celebrity Mastermind. In 2011, she won the Comic Relief episode with The Matrix trilogy as her specialist subject and then in 2012, she took part in a regular episode choosing host John Humphrys as her specialist subject. Osho also takes an occasional presenting role for the comedy club section on BBC Radio 4 Extra
On 19 June 2012, Osho made her debut in medical drama Holby City as medical student Barbara Alcock for three episodes. In July 2014, she appeared in Finding Carter as Susan Sherman. Between 2016 and 2018 she presented Supershoppers with Anna Richardson on Channel 4, being replaced with Sabrina Grant. She took part in a celebrity edition of The Chase on ITV.
- "Biog". Andi Osho. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- In an interview for BBC Radio 4 Extra's MacAuley & Co in 2011 at the Edinburgh Festival, broadcast on 16 August 2011, Osho confirmed her age to be 38 on several occasions.
- Bindel, Julie (6 July 2007). "Interview: Andi Osho from the Guardian". The Guardian. London. Archived from the original on 7 March 2009. Retrieved 25 January 2009.
- "Andi Osho: Karushi Management". Archived from the original on 11 June 2009. Retrieved 25 January 2009.
- "Andi Osho: Comedy CV". Archived from the original on 26 December 2008. Retrieved 25 January 2009.
- Whiting, Kate (10 March 2011). "Digital girl stands up to be counted". The Press and Journal. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "British Comedy Guide: The Andi Osho Show". Retrieved 25 January 2009.
- Sweney, Mark (14 June 2010). "Channel 4 lines up topical standup show hosted by Patrick Kielty". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 18 June 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- "Let's Dance for Comic Relief". BBC One. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Andi Osho on Instagram: "If you like drama I would strooooongly advise you watch the ep of The Chase that we taped tonight. It was INSANE. Great work by my cohorts…"". instagram.com. Retrieved 26 March 2018.