|The Right Reverend
|area Bishop of Reading|
|Diocese||Diocese of Oxford|
|Other posts||area Bishop for the Horn of Africa (2007–2011)|
|Ordination||1980 (deacon); 1981 (priest)|
|Consecration||late April 2007|
|Born||27 March 1954|
|Residence||Reading, Berkshire, United Kingdom|
|Alma mater||King's College London
School of Oriental and African Studies
Andrew John Proud (born 27 March 1954) is a British Anglican bishop. He is the current area Bishop of Reading in the Church of England (Diocese of Oxford). He was formerly the area bishop for the Horn of Africa in the Episcopal Church in Jerusalem and the Middle East (Diocese of Egypt).
Early life and education
Proud was ordained a deacon in 1980 and began his ministry with a curacy at St Mary's, Stansted Mountfitchet. In 1981 he was ordained priest. In 1983 he became Team Vicar of Borehamwood until 1990, when he moved to Hatfield, where he was an assistant priest in the team ministry until 1992. From that point until 2001, he was Rector at St Mary's East Barnet before he returned to university.
Between 2007 and 2011, he was the area bishop for the Horn of Africa in the Episcopal Church in Jerusalem and the Middle East Diocese of Egypt (based in Adis Ababa). On 17 January 2011, the British Government and the Diocese of Oxford announced Proud's appointment as the area Bishop of Reading and he was installed at Reading Minster on 16 April 2011.
Proud has described his theological views as "conservative" and "fairly traditional". He believes marriage is between a man and woman, and is for the purpose of procreation. On the other hand, he supports the ordination of women as priests and bishops.
- The Reverend Andrew Proud (1980–2005)
- The Reverend Canon' Andrew Proud (2005–2007)
- The Right Reverend Andrew Proud (2007–present)
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- "News in brief (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#7520). 27 April 2007. p. 8. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 14 November 2015. (subscription required (. ))
- Number 10 — Suffragan See of Reading
- Crockfords (London, Church House, 1995), ISBN 0-7151-8088-6
- Diocese of Oxford — New Bishop of Reading Announced Archived September 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "New Bishop of Reading Andrew Proud reveals beliefs". BBC News. 17 April 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Reading