|Japanese anemones have yellow stamens and white petals.|
|Water||Moderate to large amount|
|Hardiness||USDA Zone 4a to 8|
|Bloom Period||White, pink, or purple color, late summer to early fall|
Anemone hupehensis, Anemone hupehensis var. japonica, and Anemone × hybrida (commonly known as the Chinese anemone or Japanese anemone, thimbleweed, or windflower) are species of flowering herbaceous perennials in the Ranunculaceae family.
These plants thrive best in shady areas and under protection of larger plants, and in all but the hottest and the driest conditions in the United States. They are especially sensitive to drought or overwatering. They can be invasive or weedy in some areas, throwing out suckers from the fibrous rootstock, to rapidly colonise an area. Once established they can be extremely difficult to eradicate. On the other hand, they can take some time to become established.
The species was first named and described in Flora Japonica (1784), by Carl Thunberg. Thunberg had collected dried specimens while working as a doctor for the Dutch East Indies Company. In 1844, Robert Fortune brought the plant to England from China, where he found it often planted about graves.
- "Anemone hupehensis/Anemone japonica". Rob's Plants. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- Learn2Grow: Anemone × hybrida 'Pamina'
- "Anemones". plantideas.com. Archived from the original on 23 December 2009. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- Klingaman, Gerald (13 October 2006). "Plant of the Week Japanese anemone Latin: Anemone x hybrida". University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "Anemone hupehensis var. japonica 'Bressingham Glow' (Japanese anemone)". The Taunton Press. Archived from the original on 3 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants. United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. 2008. p. 1136. ISBN 1405332964.
- Feather, Judy (5 January 2010). "Japanese Anemone: Fall Color in the Garden". CSU/Denver County Extension Master Gardener. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Anemone hupehensis 'Bowles's Pink'". Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Anemone hupehensis 'Hadspen Abundance'". Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Anemone x hybrida 'Honorine Jobert'". Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Anemone x hybrida 'Konigin Charlotte'". Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Anemone hupehensis var. japonica 'Pamina'". Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Anemone x hybrida 'September Charm'". Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "Anemone hupehensis 'Kriemhilde'". Paghat the Ratgirl. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anemone hupehensis.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Anemone hupehensis|