|The Rt Revd
MA(Cantab) MA(Oxon) DipTheol
|Bishop of Hereford|
|Diocese||Diocese of Hereford|
|Term ended||2013 (retirement)|
|Other posts||Bishop of Warwick
|Born||1948 (age 65–66)|
|Residence||The Palace, Hereford|
|Alma mater||Corpus Christi College, Cambridge|
Diocese of Oxford
Bishop of Warwick
Bishop of Hereford
Priddis was appointed the Bishop of Hereford in the Diocese of Hereford in March 2004. The appointment was the first time a bishop had been appointed by the Church of England following external advertising. He retired on 24 September 2013.
In April 2007, Priddis was in the news as having vetoed the appointment of a practising homosexual youth officer who then brought Employment Tribunal proceedings against him claiming unlawful discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. The youth officer was not in a sexual relationship but could not assure Priddis that he would remain celibate. The proceedings were successful and Priddis was found to have acted unlawfully by discriminating against the youth officer because of his sexuality. Although English law refers to "orientation", the EU interprets orientation to also include behaviour. The diocese failed to agree a settlement and in February 2008 was ordered by the Employment Tribunal to pay the youth worker over £47,000 in compensation. The Employment Tribunal also said that it expected Priddis to undergo equal opportunities training. Priddis was subsequently named "Bigot of the Year" by the gay equality group Stonewall.
Priddis and his wife Kathy have three children.
- Anthony Priddis Esq (1948–1972)
- The Revd Anthony Priddis (1972–1996)
- The Rt Revd Anthony Priddis (1996–present)
- Church of England — Bishop of Hereford
- Diocese of Hereford — Bishop's Office
- BBC News — Bishop's Blogs for Dioceses of Worcester and Hereford
- BBC profile of Anthony Priddis
- "Bishop of Hereford retires from role after nine years". BBC News. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- BBC News (2007-04-01) "Gay man takes bishop to tribunal". Retrieved on 2007-04-09
- Hereford case: judgement published Thinking Anglicans website (accessed 18 July 2007)
- Bishop loses gay employment case BBC News website (accessed 18 July 2007)
- Bishop urged to resign after diocese loses gay bias case The Guardian 19 July 2007
- Thinking Anglicans digest of news reports 8 February 2008
- "Bishop 'bigot' claim over gay row", BBC News website, 2 November 2007, retrieved 18 December 2011.
- "Bishop defends transsexual curate", BBC website.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Warwick
|Bishop of Hereford