Apostolic Vicariate of Northern Arabia
Apostolic Vicariate of Northern Arabia
Apostolicus Vicariatus Arabiae Septentrionalis
النيابة الرسولية العربية الشمالية
|Area||17,900 km2 (6,900 sq mi)|
|(as of 2014)|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||29 June 1953 (As Prefecture Apostolic of Kuwait)|
2 December 1954 (As Apostolic Vicariate of Kuwait)
31 May 2011 (As Apostolic Vicariate of Northern Arabia)
|Cathedral||Holy Family Cathedral, Kuwait|
|Apostolic Vicar||Camillo Ballin|
|Website of the Apostolic Vicariate|
The Apostolic Vicariate (or Vicariate Apostolic) of Northern Arabia (Latin: Vicariatus Apostolicus Arabiæ Septentrionalis Arabic: النيابة الرسولية العربية الشمالية) is a Catholic apostolic vicariate (exempt pre-diocesan Latin missionary jurisdiction) with official seat in Kuwait.
It is exempt, i.e. directly subject to the Holy See and its Roman Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, not part of any ecclesiastical province.
Its cathedral episcopal see is the Holy Family Cathedral, in Kuwait City, capital of Kuwait. The present Ordinary of the vicariate is the Italian titular bishop Camillo Ballin, a member of the Comboni Missionaries.
As per 2015, it pastorally served 2,553,945 Catholics (6.4% of 39,762,819 total)) on 2,179,846 km² in 11 parishes with 54 priests (12 diocesan, 42 religious), 2 deacons and 61 lay religious (43 brothers, 18 sisters) and a seminarian.
- Established on 1953.06.29 as Apostolic Prefecture of Kuwait, on territory split off from the then Apostolic Vicariate of Arabia (now: of South Arabia)
- Promoted on 1954.12.02 as Apostolic Vicariate of Kuwait, hence entitled to a titular bishop.
- Renamed on 2011.05.31 as Apostolic Vicariate of Northern Arabia (English) / Arabiæ Settentrionale (Latin adjective), having gained some additional territory from the Apostolic Vicariate of Arabia, which was simultaneously renamed the Apostolic Vicariate of Southern Arabia, which covers the other peninsular Arabian countries (Oman, UAE and Yemen).
In January 2011, Pope Benedict XVI through the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments declared the Blessed Virgin Mary under the title Our Lady of Arabia patroness of the Northern Vicariate (feast on the 2nd Sunday of Ordinary Time).
In August 2012, it was decided to transfer the headquarters of the vicariate from Kuwait to Bahrain, which is in the centre of the vicariate. Another reason for the transfer was that Bahrain had a more permissive visa policy.
- Apostolic Prefect of Kuwait
- Apostolic Vicars of Kuwait
- Ubaldo Teofano Stella, O.C.D. (born Italy) (see above 2 December 1954 – retired March 1966), Titular Bishop of Antæopolis (1955.06.04 – death 1978.11.09)
- Victor León Esteban San Miguel y Erce, O.C.D. (born Spain) (31 May 1976 – retired 5 November 1981), Titular Bishop of Rusubbicari (1976.05.31 – death 1995.04.04); initially as Apostolic Administrator 1966.03.17 – 1976.05.31
- Francis George Adeodatus Micallef, O.C.D. (born Malta) (5 November 1981 – retired 14 July 2005), Titular Bishop of Tinisa in Proconsulari (1981.11.05 – death 2018.01.03)
- Camillo Ballin, Combonian Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus (M.C.C.I.) (born Italy) (14 July 2005 – 31 May 2011 see below), Titular Bishop of Arna (2005.07.14 – ...)
- Apostolic Vicars of Northern Arabia
- Camillo Ballin, M.C.C.I. (see above 31 May 2011 – ...).
- Four in Kuwait : the vicar's own Holy Family Cathedral Parish, in Kuwait City; Our Lady of Arabia Parish, in Ahmadi; St. Thérèse Parish, in Salmiya; St. Daniel Comboni Parish, in Jleeb Al-Shuyoukh
- Bahrain : Sacred Heart
- Qatar: Our Lady of the Rosary
Coat of arms
The proposal of coat of arms created by Marek Sobola, a heraldic artist from Slovakia. The colors of the new coat of arms are derived from the national colors of the states, which are incorporated into the Vicariate – Bahrain (red), Kuwait (black), Qatar (violet) and Saudi Arabia (green). The letter "M" is the symbol of the Blessed Virgin Mary under the title Our Lady of Arabia as patron saint of the Northern Vicariate.
- Roman Catholic Vicariate Apostolic of Southern Arabia
- List of Catholic dioceses in Arabia
- Roman Catholicism in Bahrain
- Roman Catholicism in Kuwait
- Roman Catholicism in Saudi Arabia
- Roman Catholicism in Qatar
- "The Vicariates of the Arabian Peninsula: Introduction". The Apostolic Vicariate of Northern Arabia. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "GCatholic - Apostolic Vicariate of Northern Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia". Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Vatican moves Gulf seat to Bahrain to simplify logistics". 10 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2017.