Appleton Museum of Art
|Location||4333 East Silver Springs Boulevard
|Website||Appleton Museum of Art|
The Appleton Museum of Art houses a permanent collection of around 18,000 works including art and artifacts representative of European, American, Asian, African, Contemporary and pre-Columbian styles. It also displays certain exhibits on a temporary basis throughout the year. The museum is working to amass a collection of works specifically from Florida artists to represent the history and progression of Central Florida culture. Over time, the Appleton Museum of Art has established itself as a leading art museum in the South.
In 1982, business magnate Arthur I. Appleton gifted his horse breeding and training facility, Bridlewood Farm, to the City of Ocala. Construction began on the museum in 1984, with it originally intended as a place to conserve and display Mr. Appleton's private art collection. The building eventually opened to the public in 1987 as the Appleton Museum of Art, and over time the collection grew, and more works were added to Appleton's private collection.
In 1996, the Edith-Marie Appleton Wing, funded by and named after Arthur I. Appleton's sister, was constructed and in 2009 a 2,662-square-foot art storage facility was also added, bringing the museum's total overall size to just under 82,000 square feet.
The Appleton Art Museum is located within the Appleton Cultural Center, a complex east of the city's downtown area, which it shares with the Ocala Civic Theatre. The museum's unique structural design is a work of art, in itself. The two-story travertine marble building is surrounded by a fountain and a long reflecting pool, and the surrounding landscaped grounds span 11.3 acres.
The Appleton Museum of Art's impressive and diverse interior features include six art galleries, totaling several thousand square feet, and a 250-seat auditorium and cafe surrounding an open-air courtyard.
Additionally, the Edith-Marie Appleton Wing includes four class rooms – one of which includes interactive video technology – an art library with over 2,000 art books and visual media, and an art workshop.
The following artists, among others, have art displayed in the museum.
- MuseumsUSA. "Appleton Museum of Art of Central Florida Community College", MuseumsUSA website, 2007. Accessed July 27, 2008.
- Appleton Museum of Art "Collections" Archived May 11, 2008, at the Wayback Machine., Appleton Museum of Art website, 2008. Accessed July 27, 2008.
- Appleton Museum of Art; Myra Engelhardt (1987). The Appleton Collection. Ocala, Fla.: The Museum. OCLC 19089675.
- "History of the Appleton". College of Central Florida Appleton Museum of Art. Appleton Museum of Art/College of Central Florida. 2016. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- Callahan, Joe (28 August 2013). "Appleton Earns Accreditation from American Alliance of Museums". Ocala.com. Ocala StarBanner. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Permanent Collections". College of Central Florida Appleton Museum of Art. Appleton Museum of Art/College of Central Florida. 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Appleton Museum.|