|Studio album by Blue October|
|Released||March 24, 2009|
|Recorded||August 18, 2008 - October 24, 2008 in Austin, Texas and Tokyo, Japan|
|Length||48:10 (Explicit version)
48:03 (Edited version)
|Blue October chronology|
|Arkansas Democrat Gazette||favorable|
Justin Furstenfeld unveiled the title and tentative track listing on Blue October's website on January 31, 2008. Pre-production of the album began at the beginning of 2008 with demos being recorded at 5am Studio in Austin, Texas The recording sessions for the album began on August 18, 2008, and were completed on October 24, 2008, with the band recording the album at Willie Nelson's Pedernales Studios near Austin with Grammy Award-winning producer Steve Lillywhite. They also recorded part of the album in Sony Recordings in Tokyo, Japan. Post-production was completed on January 8, 2009.
The track listing consists of several new songs, as well as songs that Blue October and 5591 have performed live. A live version of the song "Weight of the World" appeared on Blue October's 2004 album, Argue With a Tree. The song "Say It" was first performed at KDGE's Edgefest 17 on April 27, 2008 The festival was Steve Lillywhite's first time seeing Blue October perform, and the band's set, especially the song "Say It" cemented his desire to produce Blue October's next album.
During an interview with the music webzine Playback:Stl, Justin described the song "Blue Skies" as being one of the few happy songs he has written, saying, "There's nothing negative about it. It's all about beauty. It's really, really pretty and really, really happy, but it's going to be rocked out so crazy that people will kind of forget that it's a lovey lovey, dovey song."
During concerts on July 4 and 5, 2008, Justin Furstenfeld confirmed that "Say It" and "Weight of the World" would be on the new album. On July 23, 2008, during a web chat with fans, Jeremy Furstenfeld confirmed the song "Dirt Room" would be on the album, and that of the new songs the band was recording, it was his favorite. Justin Furstenfeld first performed the songs "Blue Skies" and "My Never" at Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn concerts in August 2008. Furstenfeld also confirmed March 2009 as the anticipated release date for the album.
The first single from the album, "Dirt Room" was performed live by the band during concerts in December 2008. Immediately following the concerts, radio stations in Austin, Dallas and Houston put the song into rotation. The single reached radio nationally on January 13, 2009, and was available to digital outlets on December 23, 2008. The song "Say It" is the second single and was released on April 24, 2009. The song "Should Be Loved" is the third single.
Blue October released the song "Graceful Dancing" via an email gift to the public on January 7, 2009. The song "Kangaroo Cry" was released on the NCIS official soundtrack on February 10, 2009 and featured in the coda of the season 7 Christmas episode, "Faith".
The album was released for pre-order on March 3, 2009. The album entered the Billboard 200 chart at #13 with sales of 33,778 and fell out of the top 50 in its second week. It also peaked at #5 on the Top Rock Albums chart. The album has sold 185,978 to date.
On October 21, 2008, Justin Furstenfeld confirmed the twelve songs to be released on the album. and that two versions of the album would be released; one version with explicit lyrics, and one version with censored lyrics. A different bonus track would be included on each version. Approaching Normal is also the first Blue October album to be released on vinyl, with the vinyl version including all of the bonus tracks.
|1.||"Weight of the World"||Justin Furstenfeld||4:05|
|2.||"Say It"||Justin Furstenfeld||3:38|
|3.||"Dirt Room"||Justin Furstenfeld, C.B. Hudson III*, Jeremy Furstenfeld*
Ryan Delahoussaye*, Matt Noveskey*
|4.||"Been Down"||Justin Furstenfeld||4:19|
|5.||"My Never"||Justin Furstenfeld||3:47|
|6.||"Should Be Loved"||Justin Furstenfeld||4:02|
|7.||"Kangaroo Cry"||Justin Furstenfeld, Jeremy Furstenfeld*||4:53|
|8.||"Picking Up Pieces"||Justin Furstenfeld||4:22|
|9.||"Jump Rope"||Justin Furstenfeld||3:22|
|10.||"Blue Skies"||Justin Furstenfeld||3:44|
|11.||"Blue Does"||Justin Furstenfeld||3:27|
|Explicit album bonus track|
|12.||"The End"||Justin Furstenfeld, Patrick Leonard*||5:00|
|Clean album bonus track|
|12.||"Graceful Dancing"||Justin Furstenfeld||4:53|
|Limited edition LP|
|13.||"Voice of a Friend"||Justin Furstenfeld||4:01|
|14.||"No One Listening"||Justin Furstenfeld||4:20|
|15.||"Graceful Dancing"||Justin Furstenfeld||4:53|
|12.||"Hate Me"||Justin Furstenfeld||6:20|
|13.||"Into the Ocean"||Justin Furstenfeld||3:59|
|14.||"Graceful Dancing or The End"||Justin Furstenfeld||4:53 or 5:00|
- Justin Furstenfeld - vocals, guitar
- Jeremy Furstenfeld - drums, percussion
- Ryan Delahoussaye - violin, mandolin, keyboard, vocals
- C.B. Hudson - guitar, vocals
- Matt Noveskey - bass and acoustic guitars, vocals
- Produced by Steve Lillywhite
- Mixed by Steve Lillywhite and CJ Eiriksson
- Engineered by CJ Eiriksson
- Mastering: Gavin Lurssen at Lurssen Mastering
- Co-writer for "The End": Patrick Leonard
- A&R: Paul Nugent for Brando Records
- Executive Producer: Sylvia Rhone
- A&R Coordination: Elizabeth Vago for Universal Motown
- A&R Administration: Michele Goldberg for Universal Motown
- Art Direction: Joe Spix and Justin Furstenfeld
- Design: Joe Spix
- Photography: Chapman Baehler
- Photo Model: Kathryn Olsen
- Management: Paul Nugent, Mike Swinford and Randy Miller for Rainmaker Artists
- Booking Agent: Kevin Daly for Monterey International
- Label: Brando/Universal Motown
- Allmusic review
- Arkansas Democrat Gazette review
- Billboard review
- Entertainment Weekly review
- Hollywood Reporter review
- People Magazine review
- Durham, Victoria (June 2009). "Blue October – Approaching Normal." Rock Sound (123): 81. ISSN 1465-0185.
- Rolling Stone review
- Justin Furstenfeld (2008-01-31). "Songs Thus Far For Preproduction on Next Album".
- "Blue October Set Date For ‘Approaching Normal’". 2008-12-10.
- "Blue October and Universal Motown Records Choose 5am Studios for New Album Pre-Production".
- Justin Furstenfeld (2008-10-21). "The Label Came to Hear the Album".
- Meghan Jones (2008-06-02). "Catching Up With...Steve Lillywhite".
- "Blue October at Edgefest 2008"..
- Meghan Jones (2008-06-02). "Catching Up With...Steve Lillywhite".
- Laura Hamlett (2006-02-26). "Blue October : Some Sort of Crazy".
- Scott Kiefer (2009-04-02). "Blue October bring rock act to The Pageant Sunday night".
- Justin Furstenfeld (2009-01-02). "Special Gift".
- Official Blue October e-mail subscription.
- Justin Furstenfeld. "The Label Came to Hear the Album".
- Gary Graff (2006-12-30). "Blue October Expands Reach On New Album".