|Born||February 4, 1969
|Occupation||Photojournalist and Educator|
Arko Datta (born 1969) is an award-winning photojournalist from India.
He was also recognised for his photographs of the Gujarat riots, depicting the plight of victims during the Gujarat riots. Newspapers all over the world recognised one if his photos as "the defining image of Gujarat carnage". The person captured in the picture, with folded hands begging for mercy, became so noted that he (the victim) was forced to migrate first to Malegaon and then to Kolkata to avoid the press and sarcastic comments by society.
Over the last two decades, Arko Datta's pictures have been regularly published in leading newspapers and magazines like The New York Times, Washington Post, Guardian, International Herald Tribune and on the covers of Time magazine, Newsweek, The Economist etc.
Arko Datta is the co-founder of Udaan School of Photography.
Early life and career
Arko Datta started his career with Indian Express in 1991, later working for The Telegraph, AFP and Reuters. He covered wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and other important international events. His photograph of tsunami victims at Cuddalore, India drew response from charitable organisations worldwide. He presently teaches photography at udaan school of photography in mumbai,byculla.
Awards and recognitions
- World Press 'Photo of the Year' 2004 award.
- Pulitzer Prize nomination for Breaking News Photography in 2005 
- Photographer of the year by Asian Photography magazine (twice) in 2003 and 2004.
- Several awards in photographic competitions like NPPA (USA), PoY (USA), Chipp (China), etc.
- Recognised as one of world's top 20 photographers by Rotovision in its coffee table book.
- Won 'Picture of the Year' and top prizes in four categories in 2004 in the Press Photo contest conducted by Mumbai Press Club .
- Several photographs featured in various coffee table books and exhibitions worldwide
- B, Suneetha (16 June 2011). "The price of fame". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- Biswas, Soutik (27 February 2012). "India's Gujarat riots : 10 years on". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "Jury for MFI Yesbank National Press Photo contest 2012". MFI. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- Datta, Arko. "In her iconic image". Business Line. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- Junday, Tina (13 November 2005). "Making an impact on the media with photographs". Asians in Media magazine. Retrieved 13 October 2012.
- Datta, Arko. "World Press Photo of the year 2004". World Press. Archived from the original on 28 December 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- Profile of Arko Dutta [permanent dead link] FindURClass.
- "Reuters photographer bags many awards". The Hindu. 5 May 2004. Retrieved 12 October 2012.