Art Rooney II
Rooney at a press conference in April 2012 announcing the new Minnesota Vikings stadium
September 14, 1952|
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
University of Pittsburgh, (B.A), '78|
Duquesne University, (J.D.), '82
University of Exeter, (Law)
|Career highlights and awards|
The eldest of nine children of longtime Steelers chairman Dan Rooney, he is the grandson of Steelers' founder “The Chief”, Art Rooney, Sr. He was named team president in May 2003. Prior to that, he served as vice president and general counsel of the Steelers, and has served on the board of directors of the Steelers since 1989. He currently serves as chairman of the NFL’s Stadium Committee, and serves on numerous NFL boards, including the Legislative Committee, the Management Council Executive Committee, the International Committee and the Digital Media Committee. Prior to his father's 2017 death, Rooney II held a 30% stake in the Steelers franchise and was in line to inherit most of the 30% share Dan Rooney held, which would make Rooney II the majority owner of the team. He is one of only two third-generation owners in the league, the other being John Mara, to whom he is related by marriage (Mara's brother is married to Rooney's sister, and both owners count actresses Rooney Mara and Kate Mara as nieces.)
He currently holds an Of Counsel position with the law firm Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney. He is active in the Pittsburgh community, devoting a substantial amount of his time to various organizations. He currently serves on the boards of the Pittsburgh Public Theater, Saint Vincent College, Senator John Heinz Western PA History center and the United Way of America.
Rooney is married to Greta, and they have four children.
- "Front Office Staff | Pittsburgh Steelers". Steelers.com. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "Pittsburgh Steelers | Tradition of Excellence". Steelers.com. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "Art Rooney II to Deliver Pitt School of Law Commencement Address May 11 | PittLaw". Law.pitt.edu. 2014-09-24. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- Bouchette, Ed (2016-02-28). "Breaking the huddle, some Rooneys ready to give up shares in Steelers | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "Art Rooney II replaces father as Steelers president". Old.post-gazette.com. 2003-07-22. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "Pittsburgh Steelers ownership at a glance - AFC North". ESPN. 2015-03-18. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- Teresa Varley Steelers.com @Teresa_Varley (2012-05-20). "Rooney honored by Pittsburgh Public Theater". Steelers.com. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- Cohen, Max (2015-07-24). "Steelers faithful: 50 years at Saint Vincent | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- "Board of Trustees". Heinz History Center. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- Teresa Varley Steelers.com @Teresa_Varley (2015-11-16). "Steelers continue to team up with United Way". Steelers.com. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
| President of the Pittsburgh Steelers