Asian studies, a term used usually in North America for Oriental studies and is concerned with the Asian people, their cultures, languages, history and politics. Within the Asian sphere, Asian studies combines aspects of sociology, history, cultural anthropology and many other disciplines to study political, cultural and economic phenomena in Asian traditional and contemporary societies. Asian studies forms a field of post-graduate study in many universities.
It is a branch of area studies, and many Western universities combine Asian and African studies in a single faculty or institute, like SOAS in London. It is often combined with Islamic studies in a similar way. The history of the discipline in the West is covered under Oriental studies.
- South Asian studies/Indology
- Southeast Asian studies
- East Asian studies
- Middle Eastern studies
- Central Asian studies
- Semitic studies
- Jewish studies (often overlapping with Middle Eastern studies)
- Islamic studies (often overlapping with Middle Eastern and Central Asian studies)
- African studies
- Ancient Near East
- Asian American studies
- Black and Asian Studies Association
- European studies
- International Journal of Asian Studies
- Graduate Programs in Asian
- ANU College of Asia & the Pacific
- Contemporary Asian Studies- University of Amsterdam
- "Area Studies: Asia". NYPL Recommendations: Best of the Web. USA: New York Public Library.
- "Help for Researchers: Asia". British Library.
|This Asia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about cultural studies is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|