عاطف محمد عبيد
|47th Prime Minister of Egypt|
5 October 1999 – 14 July 2004
|Preceded by||Kamal Ganzouri|
|Succeeded by||Ahmed Nazif|
|Born||14 April 1932|
|Died||12 September 2014(aged 82)|
|Political party||National Democratic Party (Egypt)|
|Alma mater||Cairo University|
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Atef Muhammad Ebeid (Arabic: عاطف محمد عبيد, IPA: [ˈʕɑːtˤef mæˈħæmmæd ʕeˈbeːd]) (14 April 1932 – 12 September 2014) was an Egyptian politician who served in various capacities in the governments of Egypt. He was Prime Minister of Egypt from 1999 to 2004.
Early life and education
Ebeid was professor of business at Cairo University until joining politics. In the 1980s he was the Minister of Cabinet Affairs. He served as the Minister for Domestic Development under the Sedki government, and then as Minister of Planning in the government of Kamal Ganzouri. He served as Prime Minister from 5 October 1999 to July 2004. He was sworn in on 5 October 1999, replacing Ganzouri.
Ebeid served as the acting president of Egypt from 20 June 2004 to 6 July 2004, a period during which President Hosni Mubarak was receiving medical treatment in Germany. He was also an economic advisor to Mubarak. He resigned on 9 July 2004, amid increasing pressure from part of the business community demanding more rapid privatization and less state regulation. Ahmed Nazif replaced him in the post.
Then Ebeid headed the Arab International Bank, a popular post with former Egyptian prime ministers. In April 2011 he was removed from office by Prime Minister Essam Sharaf due to corruption allegations. He also wrote for the Akhbar Alyoum.
Ebeid was sentenced to ten years in prison on 1 March 2012 for squandering public funds. His assets were also frozen previously. In early January 2013 the Egypt's Court of Appeal overturned the verdict and ordered the ex-PM's retrial, which was held at late January 2013. The court again acquitted him of fraud charges in land case.
- "Index E". Rulers. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- El Sherif, Hisham (January–February 1990). "Managing Institutionalization of Strategic Decision Support for the Egyptian Cabinet". Interfaces. 20 (1): 97–114. doi:10.1287/inte.20.1.97. JSTOR 25061314.
- Shehab, Shaden (14 October 1999). "Shuffle sense". Al-Ahram Weekly. Retrieved 9 December 2009.
- "Reform in the making". Al-Ahram Weekly. 24 June 2004. Archived from the original on 9 August 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2009.
- Hussein, Salma (7 April 2011). "Egypt PM dismisses Atef Ebeid from AIB chairmanship". Al Ahram Online. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Egypt sacks former PM Ebeid as Arab Int'l Bank head". Daily News Egypt. Cairo. 8 April 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Salah, Mohammad (8 March 2010). "The President and his Vice President". Dar Al Hayat International. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- al Muslimani, Ahmed (13 October 2008). "PM Atef Ebeid's State". Almasry Alyoum. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Egypt: 10-Year Prison Sentence For Atef Ebeid and Youssef Wali". Aswat Masriya (Cairo). 1 March 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Egypt court acquits ex-PM Atef Ebeid of fraud charges in land case". Egypt. 29 January 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
| Prime Minister of Egypt
1999 – 2004