|• Total||26.0 sq mi (67.2 km2)|
|• Land||25.9 sq mi (67.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,135 ft (346 m)|
|• Density||98.9/sq mi (38.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086821|
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Edinburg Township - north
- Palmyra Township - northeast corner
- Deerfield Township - east
- Lexington Township, Stark County - south
- Marlboro Township, Stark County - southwest
- Randolph Township - west
- Rootstown Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Students in Atwater Township are served by the Waterloo Local School District, which also serves neighboring Randolph Township. Fire and EMS protection is provided by the Atwater Township Volunteer Fire Department.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- History of Portage County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County, Its Townships, Towns, Villages, Schools, Churches, Industries, Etc. Warner, Beers & Company. 1885. pp. 392.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved February 16, 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- District Info Archived June 17, 2008, at the Wayback Machine, Waterloo Local Schools, 2005. Accessed 2008-07-10.
- Welcome to the Atwater Township Volunteer Fire Department. Accessed 2008-07-10.