Austin Peay Governors
|Austin Peay Governors|
|University||Austin Peay State University|
|Conference||Ohio Valley Conference|
|Athletic director||Ryan Ivey|
|Varsity teams||6 men's, 9 women's|
|Football stadium||Governors Stadium|
|Basketball arena||Dunn Center|
|Baseball stadium||Raymond C. Hand Park|
|Colors||Red and White
The Austin Peay Governors are the intercollegiate athletic teams of Austin Peay State University (APU), located in Clarksville, Tennessee, United States. The Governors athletic program is a member of the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) and competes at the NCAA Division I level including the Football Championship Subdivision. The Austin Peay mascot is The Governor, and the school colors are red and white. While the women's teams were formerly known as the Lady Govs, the school emphasizes that all teams are now Governors.
|Men's sports||Women's sports|
|Cross country||Cross country|
|Track and field†|
|† – Track and field includes both indoor and outdoor.|
Athletics began at Austin Peay almost as soon as the school opened for classes in 1929 as Austin Peay Normal School; men's and women's basketball teams were organized that first year. Football was added in the fall of 1930 and baseball in the spring of 1931, with other men's sports added and dropped over the years. Women's basketball was discontinued in 1938, but returned in 1973, along with volleyball, tennis, and golf when women's sports gained widespread inclusion.
- "Austin Peay Governors - APSU Athletics Digital & Local Style Guide". APSU Athletics. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- "OVC Member Institutions". Ohio Valley Conference. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- "Austin Peay State University". NCAA. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- "AUSTIN PEAY STATE UNIVERSITY TRADITIONS". Austin Peay State University. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "Official Website of the Austin Peay Governors". Austin Peay State University. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "About APSAU tab". Austin Peay State University. Retrieved July 12, 2017.