Avalon School District
|Avalon School District|
|235 32nd Street
Avalon, NJ 08202
|Business administrator||Linda Fiori|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||66 (as of 2011-12)|
|District Factor Group||FG|
Avalon School District is a community public school district that serves students in Kindergarten through eighth grade from Avalon, New Jersey, United States. Based on data from the 2014 Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending prepared by the New Jersey Department of Education, the Avalon district's total per pupil spending of $43,775 was the highest of any regular school district.
Starting with the 2011-12 school year, in an agreement with the Stone Harbor School District, public school students in grades K-4 from both communities attend school at Stone Harbor Elementary School in Stone Harbor while all students in grades 5-8 attend school in Avalon as part of a reciprocal sending/receiving relationship.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "FG", the fourth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Students in public school for ninth through twelfth grades attend Middle Township High School in Cape May Court House, as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Middle Township Public Schools, together with students from Avalon, Dennis Township, Stone Harbor and Woodbine. As of the 2013-14 school year, the high school had an enrollment of 807 students and 67.5 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.0:1.
- Avalon Elementary School had an enrollment of 66 students in the 2011-12 school year.
- Stacey Tracy, Superintendent
- Linda Fiori, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Avalon School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed September 2, 2014.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- O'Dea, Colleen. "Interactive Map: Per-Pupil Costs Vary Widely in New Jersey’s Schools", NJ Spotlight, May 16, 2014. Accessed December 9, 2014. "Avalon, a small K-8 district in Cape May County, ranked most costly among non-special services districts, with a total of $43,775 for each of 106 students."
- Avalon Elementary School 2014 School Report Card, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed March 18, 2015. "The district has entered into a “send-receive” agreement with the neighboring district on the island to consolidate the instructional programs in the two schools. Stone Harbor houses the K-4 programs for both districts and Avalon houses grades 5-8. This expanded agreement has enriched our programs and has provided a rich social environment for our students. "
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed September 2, 2014.
- Middle Township High School 2015 School Report Card, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 30, 2016. "Middle Township High School is a four-year, accredited, comprehensive high school situated in central Cape May County. The school serves the communities of Middle Township, Dennis Township, Avalon, Stone Harbor, and Woodbine Borough."
- Home page, Middle Township Public Schools. Accessed May 30, 2016. "The high school is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades. In addition to students from Middle Township, students from Avalon, Dennis Township, Stone Harbor and Woodbine attend the high school as part of sending/receiving relationships."
- School Data for Middle Township High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- School Data for the Avalon Elementary School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed September 2, 2014.
- Avalon Staff, Avalon School District. Accessed September 2, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for Cape May County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed September 2, 2014.
- Avalon Elementary School
- Avalon Elementary School's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Avalon Elementary School, National Center for Education Statistics