B.ay A.rea D.erby Girls
|Metro area||San Francisco, CA|
Richmond Wrecking Belles
San Francisco ShEvil Dead
Golden Girls (All-Star Team)
Oakland Convention Center
Dry Ice Hockey Arena, 2004-2008
The B.ay A.rea D.erby Girls, or B.A.D. Girls, is an all female flat-track roller derby league based in the San Francisco Bay Area in Northern California. B.A.D. Girls were founded in 2004 and are members of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA). B.A.D. Girls is a skater owned and operated 501 (c)(3) non-profit league. The league is composed of 4 member teams for intra-league play, and an all-star travel team that competes nationally. As of 2015, BAD is currently ranked in the top 10 overall in WFTDA.
Home Teams Compete locally.
- Berkeley Resistance (founded 2011)
- Oakland Outlaws (founded 2004)
- Richmond Wrecking Belles (founded 2005)
- San Francisco ShEvil Dead (founded 2004)
Travel Team Competes nationally.
- Golden Girls (All-Stars)
The B.A.D. Girls have a "Swim Team" aka "Free Agent Pool," composed of skaters coming back after a long term absence, skaters who have not yet been drafted to a home team, and skaters who are in the process of transferring to the league from another league or Reckless Rollers.
Bay Area Derby Girls formed in August 2004 and practice was during open skate at Golden Skate Roller Rink in San Ramon, CA. BAD later moved to The Bladium in Alameda, CA, in early 2005, and Dry Ice Hockey Arena in Oakland, CA, later in 2005. BAD signed the lease at their current practice space, a warehouse in West Oakland, CA, on April 1, 2010.
BAD's first bout, "Thirst for Blood," was held at Dry Ice Hockey Arena on Saturday, October 22, 2005. It featured the Oakland Outlaws vs the San Francisco ShEvil Dead. Final Score: ShEvil Dead 59, Outlaws 50.
The B.A.D. All-Stars were founded in January 2006 by the B.A.D. coaching committee to represent the league at the 2006 Dust Devil National Flat Track Derby Tournament in Tucson, Arizona, February 24–26, 2006. Hosted by Tucson Roller Derby, this tournament was the B.A.D. All-Stars' first inter-league tournament as well as the first WFTDA sanctioned inter-league roller derby tournament. Original Roster:
- Faster PussyCat $100
- Ghoulina 26
- Iva Vendetta 1031
- Killer Vee 1337
- Kitt Turbo 667
- Liza Machete 1
- mindianapolis500 0
- Miss Moxxxie XOXO
- Racey Lane 96
- Sassy Slayher .30-06
- Skatzophrenic 51/50
- Stitches Stew 187
- Surly Vixen 00
- Terra Nüone 1111
B.A.D. came in as a relative unknown to the tournament, but started strong and beat Windy City Rollers and Dallas Derby Devils, and tied Arizona Roller Derby's Tent City Terrors (eventual 3rd-place finishers) in the tournament's first day round robin seeding event. B.A.D. moved on to day 2 but fell to the Carolina Rollergirls.
B.A.D Girls provides an environment for women of all athletic abilities to compete with like-minded women and push themselves to a higher athletic ability. B.A.D. started a recreation league in 2010, Reckless Rollers, which is composed of derby skaters in training, BAD alumni and league members.
2006-9, 2013 – present "Skater Tots": The B.A.D. Girls provide equipment & skating lessons to an economically disadvantaged grade school in Richmond, CA, for 8 weeks out of the school year, essentially, being the 'gym class' for a trimester.
Other community involvement
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (January 2014)|
- Beer Booth @ San Francisco PRIDE Parade
- Beer Booth @ Oakland PRIDE w/Mayor Jean Quan,
- Guest appearance @ Piedmont Fourth of July Parade
- Guest appearance @ Beats 4 Boobs.
The B.A.D. Girls have also partnered with: San Francisco Breast Cancer Emergency Fund, SF Cheer, The Girl Scouts of NorCal, Rocket Dog Rescue, The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence & Alameda County Food Bank.
August 30, 2009: "What Would Brian Boitano Make" Food Network,
November 16, 2009: B.A.D. Girls appeared in the video for "Felt Chewed Up" by Slug and Murs on the album "Felt 3: A Tribute to Rosie Perez". Directed by Alexander Tarrant & Justin Metros
October: "The Hot 20 Under 40" issue of 7x7 Magazine
- "Bay Area Derby Girls homepage".
- "Thirst for Blood". Inside Bay Area.
- Hix, Lisa. "Clubland". SF Gate. SF Gate.
- "Dust Devil". Flat Track Stats.
- "Reckless Rollers".
- "Skater Tots". Bay Area Derby Girls.
- "Ronada-Ramona Neighbors Win For Parade Float".
- "Beats for Boobs 2010".
- "Current Rankings", WFTDA
- "12/8/2006 WFTDA National Rankings", WFTDA [version of 23 February 2007]
- "February 2006 Dust Devil Invitational Rankings", WFTDA [version of 23 February 2007]
- "Current WFTDA Rankings", Derby News Network, October 2007
- "Dust Devil 2007", Flat Track Stats
- "Texas Shootout 2007", Flat Track Stats
- "Battle Royale", Flat Track Stats
- "Tournament Results", Northwest Knockdown
- "Derby on the rocks 2009 Western Regionals", WFTDA
- "Rollin’ on the River 2010 West Region Playoffs", WFTDA
- "Uproar on the Lakeshore", WFTDA
- "Bridgetown Brawl WFTDA 2011 West Region Playoffs", WFTDA
- "Bay of Reckoning", WFTDA
- "Grits and Glory", WFTDA
- "D1 Playoffs: Salem", WFTDA
- "What Would Brian Boitano Make - Derby Girls".
- "What Would Brian Boitano Make--Brian Feeds Bacon to Derby Girls".
- "Felt Chewed Up".
- "2008 Hot 20 Under 40: 7x7 Magazine".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bay Area Derby Girls.|